Can someone pls. ID these T's

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Got them a while ago from a pet store... all are Local Philippine T Sp.

I'm thinking of S. Peerbomi or Orphnaecus Sp... but I'm not that sure.. the seller didn't specify where it was caught.. probably from Negros.. Can someone help me ID these T's.. Thank you in advance..
Sp. 1

Sp. 2

Sp.3

;)

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am not familiar with asian T's (only pokies) so I wouldm't be able to identify them,however they look like they are from SE asia and of the species of spiders endemic to Australia and SE asia. Sorry i couldn't help.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
The first one looks like a mature male T. truculentus, except they're from like Goa, India..
But as for positive ID's, I don't believe anyone here could accurately do that. Sorry.

-Sean

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Hi
going by the looks of leg 4 on all the spiders I think you can rule out S.peerboomi on all of them.

by a total guess going by the pic I would guess...

Sp.1 is a mature male Orphnaecus sp. possibly sp. Negros?

Sp.2 is what looks to be Orphnaecus sp. Negros?

Sp.3 looks to be Orphnaecus sp. cebu maybe?

Anyway take this with a pinch of salt as it is more than likely I am wrong.;)

Cheers
Chris

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
On the second 2 spiders you pictured, is metatarsus IV fully scopulated? or does the scopulae only extend part of the way up the metatarsus?

I would guess the metatarsus is only partially scopulated, and you have some Orphnaecus.

Eric

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Got them a while ago from a pet store... all are Local Philippine T Sp. ... Can someone help me ID these T's. ...
Just for the record, the following species are listed by Platnick (2007) as being native to the Philippines. The chances are pretty good it's one of these, so this pretty much narrows it down to only 9 potential species

Best of luck. Enjoy your tarantulas!

Cyriopagopus dromeus
Orphnaecus peelitus
Phlogiellus baeri
Phlogiellus insularis
Selenobrachys philippinus
Selenocosmia peerboomi
Selenocosmia samarae
Yamia bundokalbo
Yamia muta

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just for the record, the following species are listed by Platnick (2007) as being native to the Philippines. The chances are pretty good it's one of these, so this pretty much narrows it down to only 9 potential species

Cyriopagopus dromeus
Orphnaecus peelitus
Phlogiellus baeri
Phlogiellus insularis
Selenocosmia peerboomi
Selenocosmia samarae
Yamia bundokalbo
Yamia muta
I don't think it's "pretty much" narrowed down to those species at all... and most of those can be thrown out immediately as possibilities... even with just the photos.

I'm with Chris' guesses above... as a pentaxonimist that is.

Eric

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just for the record, the following species are listed by Platnick (2007) as being native to the Philippines. The chances are pretty good it's one of these, so this pretty much narrows it down to only 9 potential species ...
Perhaps a small clarification is in order. While I openly propound the dictum that we may have not seen half the tarantulas extant on planet Earth, I must also admit that probably all the easy ones have been found.

Thus, if these were common enough to have appeared in a pet shop my first reaction would be to assume that they had already been scientifically described and named, and a good place to start when trying to identify them would be to consult Platnick for a list of probable IDs. If they didn't fit one or more of those, then I'd start considering other alternatives.

During the heyday of scientific exploration between the mid 1700s and the early 1900s expeditions were sent to nearly every possible habitable place on the planet. While the overwhelming emphasis was to explore and claim territory for the empire, that's not all they did. They also collected just about anything and everything that they could lay their hands on from rocks and minerals to mushrooms and pond scum to big game animals.

Chief among their collections were "insects," including spiders, centipedes, etc., etc., etc. It is difficult to really appreciate the frenzy until you begin to examine Platnick's bibliography for the period in detail. (See http://research.amnh.org/entomology/spiders/catalog/BIB1.html and http://research.amnh.org/entomology/spiders/catalog/BIB2.html as examples.) There are literally dozens of papers describing or recording collection records by people like Banks, the two Cambridges, Pocock, Simon and many others. There are times when these people were turning out a scientific paper every month or more often! It would be pretty difficult to imagine them missing a species that existed in large populations in a reasonably well explored place like the Philippines. Hence the "pretty much" part. That doesn't indicate that I believe that list to be the final answer, just a very good bet.

I clearly admit that many species haven't been scientifically described and named, even here in North America (ESPECIALLY here in North America oddly enough!), however one must start from somewhere in making an identification and first getting a menu of probable species so as not to accidentally miss something important merely seems to be the best strategy.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Cyriopagopus dromeus
Orphnaecus peelitus
Phlogiellus baeri
Phlogiellus insularis
Selenocosmia peerboomi
Selenocosmia samarae
Yamia bundokalbo
Yamia muta
Currently I have only seen Orphnaecus Sp., S. Philippinus and S. Peerbomi both live and photos, while P. Baeri I've only seen on photos. The others I'm not familiar with. We can cross out S. Philippinus & P. Baeri... so that narrows down the possible Sp. of these T's... but referring to these pictures..

http://sklipkani.cz/polozka/906/Selenocosmia_peerboomi

I would somehow think that these are S. Peerbomi rather than Orphnaecus Sp..

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
but referring to these pictures..
I would somehow think that these are S. Peerbomi rather than Orphnaecus Sp..
Is metatarsus IV fully scopulated? As in the pictures you linked to?

2 of yours remind me of the Orphnaecus shown HERE

See the discussion that follows that post as well.

Eric

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry but i don't understand the word scopulated.. can you describe it in simple term..

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
tried checking last night.. but she wasn't in the mood.. a small bump or movement makes her go into a strike pose.. will check again some other day..

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Get her into a clear deli cup if you need to.

Eric

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
actually my plan was to place her on top of a small glass sheet.. and cover her with a delicup so she won't be able to move.. but she won't allow.. she always goes to her strike pose everytime i try to move her.. :?

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Got these new pictures of Sp. 3.. Sorry for the quality.. I wasn't able to use the same camera I used from the first pics I posted.. hope this helps a bit..
Sp. 3 Ventral View

Sp.3 Side View

:?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Got these new pictures of Sp. 3.. Sorry for the quality.. I wasn't able to use the same camera I used from the first pics I posted.. hope this helps a bit..
Sp. 3 Ventral View

:?
3/4 scopula...My money goes to Orphnaecus....well, something other than Selenocosmia peerboomi, anyway.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how abut the male (Sp.1).. does it look anywhere near a Selenocosmia Peerboomi or probably an Orphnaecus as well??

is there any visible difference between a male peerboomi and a male orphnaecus??

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am planning to breed them.. just wanna make sure that they are from the same species.. :?