Can someone make a positive ID on this species?

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like a grammostola aureostriata to me.
Hard to tell for sure from a pic.

Bryan

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks kinda like a Pink Zebra Beauty too. I'd have to see more photos because I can't tell what the colors are.

-Jill

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Yeah, It does look like a Grammostola aureostriata to me also

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's links to Rick West photos of both G. aureostriata and E. campestratus: http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/1/0165.htm
http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/1/0123.htm
If you open the two Rick West photos with the photo in this thread in different windows and do a back and forth from one to the other The T in question does seem to be E. campestratus. We compared the photo to our male E. campestratus and the T in question does seem to be that. I would have to agree with Jill, of course she is my wife but nonetheless.

-Johnny

Last edited:

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
G. aureostriata is the first thing that came to mind for me too. Good find.

Bill

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why it is not campestratus....

I still feel that is is a chaco and here's why. If you will notice on both my pic and Ricks E campestratus has a faded rear half of the ceph that has a chalky look to it which althought chacos can get that somewhat they don't get to the degree that campestrautus does. Also the striping on campestratus while it can have a yellowish tinge doesn't get that mustard look that a chaco does.

fem campestratus

fem chaco

The T in the pic while the color may be off does not have the faded ceph that campestratus has. That along with the legs having more of a whitish look to them has me still thinking chaco. Also if you look at the ceph of both species in both sets of pics you can see the triangle shape near the eyes on the chaco where this isn't noticeable on the campestratus. The species do look somewhat similar but the T in question is a chaco.

Phil

Last edited:

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
for what it's worth, i also agree, G. aureostriata. it seems very obviously a Chaco Golden Knee to me anyway.

is this your T? nice. :) i have a very small Chaco that i got as a freebie currently, i am really looking forward to it getting that size. he's a cutie right now, more goldish and black with little fluffy legs.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's G. aureostriata. E. campestratus are easily ID'd because of the swollen tibia IV. Your G. aureostriata does not have swollen tibia IV and cannot be an E.campestratus. The only genera in the subfamily Theraphosinae to have swollen tibia IV are Eupalaestrus and Crassicrus. Hope this clears it up.

Cheers,
Steve

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah that too...

Never noticed the tibia thing. :) Good eye there Steve.

Phil

Rich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was concerned it was a E. campestratus.

Skadiwolf, it is mine. I bought it as a Grammostola aureostriata and I would be dissapointed if it wasn't.

Phillip, why doesn't mine have all that great yellow color like yours does or the one on Rick West's site?

Steve, are you referring to the third segment of the last set of legs???

Thanks everyone!

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks Steve. I didn't know that, but I checked out mine and I see what you mean.

-Jill

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why it doesn't have as much yellow..

The reason for less yellow is most likely time after molting as the one in my pic is freshly molted. Also the male I have seen ( grand total of one ) had thinner stiping than the females. There is also some variance between individuals.

Phil

Rich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The photo I took was just a couple of days after molting. There is a huge difference in color between mine and yours. I wonder if mine is a male? It was supposed to be a female. Maybe as it gets older, it will get more yellow after molting.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Rich
There is a huge difference in color between mine and yours.
Don't forget the color variation amongst species of the theraphosids is extreme, compared to other spider families.

Cheers,
Steve