Can millipedes see or feel infrared light from a camera with night vision?

Indiglowoods

Arachnopeon
I have two different Wyze cameras on/in my millipede cage to see what they're doing and noticed how BRIGHT the infrared light was at night (even though we can't see it). I'll include a picture. I just worry that it isn't fully dark for them if they can see that spectrum and also have heard that UV light is bad and I just don't know if infrared could be, too. I tried googling it with no luck.

Attachments

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
I don’t know anything about this but that’s a really great question, just thought I’d respond to bring some attention to the thread. I’d love to hear if anyone else has an opinion on it but cool that you record the pedes 😀

Tytyty

Arachnopeon
Quick question: does the infrared camera shine infrared light or does it pick up on infrared from the environment? If they do shine light how strong is the bulb?

Perhaps you could set up an experiment to see if they forage more actively when the infrared camera is on vs off.

Indiglowoods

Arachnopeon
Quick question: does the infrared camera shine infrared light or does it pick up on infrared from the environment? If they do shine light how strong is the bulb?

Perhaps you could set up an experiment to see if they forage more actively when the infrared camera is on vs off.
Equivalent of 60 watt bulbs, 4-6 of them depending on which camera. It also mentioned "800 Lumen"

AuroraLights

Arachnosquire
I would think it's probably unlikely. Most arthropods can only see light in the green to low frequency UV range, and I can't think of a reason why millipedes would evolve infrared vision. The only mentions I can find of infrared vision in arthropods fall into two categories:
1. Things like mosquitoes and bed bugs that use it to find animals to feed off.
2. Beetles that lay their eggs in burnt wood after forest fires. (I didn't even know these existed until today, really cool!)

That being said it's not impossible that millipedes might have IR vision, I just really can't imagine why they would benefit from it and it's certainly not something that's common among invertebrates.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with AuroraLights. But if your cage is large enough you could do an experiment to see if they react. Shade one half of the cage and light the other with infrared and see if the millipedes show any reaction towards or against the illuminated side. If it bothers them in any way, they can easily avoid it, so you won't be stressing them or endangering them. If you do this, please post back here to let us know the results.