Can millipedes eat natural sawdust?

Godzilla90fan

Arachnosquire
Not sure if that's what to call it, but it's a soft wood mix I found in abundance under a tree half eaten out by a mix of critters (ants, termites, lizards, etc) with the consistency of soft sawdust. I'm baking it in the over just in case I can use it, wanted opinions. Thanks

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Not sure if that's what to call it, but it's a soft wood mix I found in abundance under a tree half eaten out by a mix of critters (ants, termites, lizards, etc) with the consistency of soft sawdust. I'm baking it in the over just in case I can use it, wanted opinions. Thanks
If it's soft wood then it's probably pine or similar.
Only use hard wood for millipedes, soft wood could kill them.

Godzilla90fan

Arachnosquire
If it's soft wood then it's probably pine or similar.
Only use hard wood for millipedes, soft wood could kill them.
I'll go back and check the tree, didn't think about that. I still haven't put it in with them just to be safe, but I baked it last night

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Yes, completely depends on tree species. "Hard" and "Soft" don't necessarily refer to the feel by touch of the wood but rather the resilience of the lumber it produces.

Godzilla90fan

Arachnosquire
Yes, completely depends on tree species. "Hard" and "Soft" don't necessarily refer to the feel by touch of the wood but rather the resilience of the lumber it produces.
After looking into it, it's a hickory tree. I've seen posts on here of people having good luck with hickory, so I put the wood and leaves in. The wood is sawdust consistency, bit thicker, so I hope they eat it. They munch on my large rotten bark pieces, so I don't see why not