can i use desert sand as substrate for my chromatopelma??

erguayabero

Arachnopeon
I will buy a new chromatopelma and i want to make a desert environment and i don´t know if i culd have problems with her??

Clement

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sand is not a good idea, potting soil or coco fiber is way better

erguayabero

Arachnopeon
but in venezuela is really hard to find coco fiber ore potting soil, thats the problem, and i have a a. avicularia with earth and i want to change her to another terrarium becouse i have ants and mold problems!! so what can i find by mi self for substrate??

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well....since this sounds like a terrible idea to me i figure i would at least ask first before anyone else flames me for my idea.

Be it that he lives in the same local as the GBB couldnt he in theory make a trip to the dry desert area of Venezuela collect some of the local soil, take it home, bake it all to hell and use that? :?

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can just get some from your lawn provided you dig a decent amount, collect it, and bake it, and then use it.

- as long as there is no pesticides.-

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well....since this sounds like a terrible idea to me i figure i would at least ask first before anyone else flames me for my idea.

Be it that he lives in the same local as the GBB couldnt he in theory make a trip to the dry desert area of Venezuela collect some of the local soil, take it home, bake it all to hell and use that? :?

They are native from around Los Medanos de Coro, if im not mistaken.
Thats in the Estado Falcon, around the Peninsula de Paraguana.

Which means, if this guy lives in Caracas, for example, thats a long arse trip :).

Hey erguayabero pana, como estas? Me encanta tu pais :)

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are native from around Los Medanos de Coro, if im not mistaken.
Thats in the Estado Falcon, around the Peninsula de Paraguana.

Which means, if this guy lives in Caracas, for example, thats a long arse trip :).

Hey erguayabero pana, como estas? Me encanta tu pais :)
right, i understand that. yes they are from the Paraguana peninsula, and yes Venezuela is a big area so the chance of him living near there is slim. But, would a dry scrub land area in his neck of the woods provide him with a similar substrate needed to house his T? being that he wants to do it cheap and efficient?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
right, i understand that. yes they are from the Paraguana peninsula, and yes Venezuela is a big area so the chance of him living near there is slim. But, would a dry scrub land area in his neck of the woods provide him with a similar substrate needed to house his T? being that he wants to do it cheap and efficient?
I personally know that in Venezuela there are thousands of pet stores of all kinds.
Find dirt shouldnt be hard :)

erguayabero

Arachnopeon
in venezuela is forbidden sell tarantulas an another animals like iguanas!! so in the pet stores you only can find dogs, cats and fishes!! the medanos of coro are like a desert, and near my city is my farm and in my farm is a river and the sand of the river when is drained is like desert sand, i thought to put some rocks and woods to make her environment!! note: falcon is almost 10 ours from where i live!!

SK8TERBOI

Arachnopeon
in venezuela is forbidden sell tarantulas an another animals like iguanas!! so in the pet stores you only can find dogs, cats and fishes!! the medanos of coro are like a desert, and near my city is my farm and in my farm is a river and the sand of the river when is drained is like desert sand, i thought to put some rocks and woods to make her environment!! note: falcon is almost 10 ours from where i live!!
I don't know that i would personally use that sand unless you really heat it up to clean it the easier alternative is just a Brick of ECO-Earth if it's available near you

Ashphetamine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
1 more question is stupid i guess: how i cook the substrate
No questions are stupid, friend.

I am not well informed on how to "bake" substrate- but I assume it should be just that.

Put it in a flat tray in an oven at high temperatures. Make sure it kills any bacteria or pests and gets rid of all the chemicals.

Like I said, not an expert- Im sure someone here can give you temperatures and time amounts. :) good luck with your Ts though! :D

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought certain species lived on a sandbased ground in the wild? The the g.rosea and GBB?

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Don't scorpions have booklungs too? I know I've seen them living on sand.
I haven't got a clue about scorpions...never really been interested in scorps :8o. I've certainly read of the booklung issue and also the tendency of fine sand to clump around the Ts mouthparts causing a problem with feeding. I just wish I could remember where I read it :wall:.

Of course, these are only potential risks...not saying they will definitely occur. Just something to keep in mind.