Can I own an Egyptian fruit bat in CT?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Anybody know if I can own an Egyptian fruit bat in Connecticut? They have some dumb laws that may prevent me from obtaining one. Where can I check to see if I can own one?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Anybody know if I can own an Egyptian fruit bat in Connecticut? They have some dumb laws that may prevent me from obtaining one. Where can I check to see if I can own one?
I'd hopefully think you can't own a fruit bat.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Wow, I thought it would be the opposite since it would be getting more food! Thanks for the information!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Christ, from what I've heard and keep hear about, Connecticut isn't "invert/animal friendly" at all. I keep talking about Italy but Italy is a heaven, if compared :-s

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Then again, we are shipping t's and stuff. Personally since a bat is an exotic pet, your'e going to want to give it a lot of flying space and to be sure to keep any insects in there cages and away from the bat. Bats are notoriously good hunters of mantises and other insects, even carnivorous katydids. As of that, I assume that you need a good amount of flying space along with feeding a varied diet.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Wait, just checking, don't. They don't live very long after doing some research. Also quite regulated due to SARS and rabies

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
A friend of mine is actually looking into getting some of these. He has a contact in Illinois who does bat educational shows. I know nothing about them, so don't ask me, but http://www.incrediblebats.com might be a good resource.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
More I found is that they need as much space as your house, not joking. They also poop and pee and spit out fruit pulps many times a day and do other dirty things. Wouldn't do it. Not worth it

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
More I found is that they need as much space as your house, not joking. They also poop and pee and spit out fruit pulps many times a day and do other dirty things. Wouldn't do it. Not worth it
Oh yuck ..I thought cleaning after pets I gave now was a lot of work that sounds like a full time job .

basin79

ArachnoGod
I know nothing about them but for the "average" keeper they wouldn't have the room surely? They need to fly. What size space would they need? Not a 12x12ft room/shed/enclosure that's for sure.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
It says 6' x 6' x 6' on the care sheet. The enclosure is not too hard to build either. I hear you though, they do need to fly. That's one reason why I'm steering away from it now.

basin79

ArachnoGod
It says 6' x 6' x 6' on the care sheet. The enclosure is not too hard to build either. I hear you though, they do need to fly. That's one reason why I'm steering away from it now.
How is a bat with a 2ft wingspan supposed to fly in a 6ft enclosure? Or of it's 6m then that's 18ft square which is better.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
If I ever were to obtain one of these, which I probably never will now, I'd build a huge shed like sanctuary that could fit a few of them in. It's definitely not cool at all to keep them in a confined space so they're unable to fly.