Can I improve habitat conditions for Rosehair molting?

cold blood

Staff member
She started out next to her water dish two days ago, and is now at the other end of the tank. But I'm also almost as positive that she hasn't flipped over.
Ts dont, or should i say, cant move when on their backs....its like flipping your car over....the legs/drive wheels arent touching the ground, hence movement isnt possible....it must have righted its self and moved.

it may just be old age (she is 12 minimum, likely closer to 14 or 15), and the uncoordinated
ok, heres the thing, at 12-15, this species would be barely mature and quite young...rose hairs can like to the 50 yr old range....mines gotta be pushing 40 by now, if not older.....old age isnt the problem.

Hopefully the process will eventually begin and be successful...we are all pulling for your t....fingers crossed.

Feral

Arachnobaron
I can't tell fully from the pic, but I'm thinking it looks like her two rear-most/posterior pairs of legs are in the normal molting position. That is, knees and most of lower legs pretty much touching the substrate. That part seems normal, not "death curl". Then, as far as I can see, the two anterior pairs of legs are folded up but only because their pushed against the glass. And it seems like your description agrees. So if I'm understanding you correctly and seeing the pic right, I would say that is not "death curl" at all.

So if it were me, I would do three things if it were me:
-continue keeping the environmental stressors (light, noise/vibration, nearby activity, drafts, etc.) as minimal as possible
-place a large but shallow and lightweight dish (like a plastic screw-on jar lid like from peanut better or cheese puffs) filled with water nearish to the T. If the exoskeletons have begun to prematurely harden (due to how abnormally long the molt is taking), maybe the slightly moister microclimate created by the dish will help soften the exoskeletons and thereby buy her some more time to work at it... moisture has worked in some abdomormal situations in the past and I def don't think it can hurt at this point
(If she should successfully complete the molt, be sure to remove the extra water so she can dry in usual conditions)
-and continue to monitor closely.
Then if there are any changes, I'd reevaluate the game plan at that point. I know it's hard not to be able to actively DO something, but I think it's best and it's what I'd be doing in your shoes.

Last edited:

Dragonfly18

Arachnopeon
I'll place a dish a little close to her, in case it helps. Cold blood, that's amazing, everything I've read gives the upper limit for rose hairs as 15-20, good to know. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
She likely was already quite old when you got her, as most G. rosea adults are wild caught, and add 12 or however many years to that. So it may be likely she is just too weak (from old age) to complete this molt. Don't lose all hope though, maybe she will surprise you (us).

Dragonfly18

Arachnopeon
That is exactly where I'm at right now. My gut tells me age is a factor, but I'm still waiting and hopeful. Thank you.

Last edited: