can I feed "Green Cabage Caterpillar" to my tarantulas?

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I HAVE BUTTERFLIES!!!!

WOW!
these guys pupate SOOOO fast!!!

I feel really sorry for these butterflies :((( should i put them in a screen enclosure with fruit maybe? I kinda feel bad.. ;(

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Several years ago I had some green catipillers eating some collard greens I was trying to grow. I put the greens in the closet when the weather turned cold - without realizing that there were a few catipillers still on them. Two months later (DEC!) I had little green butterflys in my closit. OF course they died quickly.

Most butterflys are going to want FLOWERS and I THINK that alot look for a certian kind. Then after a short time (may be days??) they will mate and try to find a place to lay eggs - you will need to provide the same plant - kale - for them to do that. if you know for sure what they are you can look up that species to check their perfered egg laying/catipiller stage and adult stage plants.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
On first glance, the caterpillars appear to be Pieris rapae, so plants from the mustard family should suffice as larval hostplants. Why not just raise the butterflies as they are, as opposed to considering them as feeders? Breeding/raising Lepidoptera is also a worthwhile hobby. :)

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
On first glance, the caterpillars appear to be Pieris rapae, so plants from the mustard family should suffice as larval hostplants. Why not just raise the butterflies as they are, as opposed to considering them as feeders? Breeding/raising Lepidoptera is also a worthwhile hobby. :)
Ah, I wanted the caterpillars for food. However these butterflies seem like they like to explore alot....so i feel bad putting them in a big square container lol

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I HAVE BUTTERFLIES!!!!

WOW!
these guys pupate SOOOO fast!!!

I feel really sorry for these butterflies :((( should i put them in a screen enclosure with fruit maybe? I kinda feel bad.. ;(
they would be PERFECT for arboreal spiders.
I have often fed WC moths to some of my Poeci and avics with no problems at all. They go crazy over them. Way more entertaining to watch than roaches/crickets and the likes

So far, if it has proven to not be harmful, but then again i only feed the WC feeders to the same ts over and over again. If any problems DO arise, i will find out the hard way, with limited numbers

Archduke

Arachnopeon
To breed them, you will need more than just fruit by itself. The adult males do need some mineral intake to enrich their sperm. Also, you will ensure that you introduce some external genes to avoid inbreeding, usually the 3rd generation will have significant failures if this is not kept in check.

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
You can let the males go and you could try keeping the females in a cage with large enough holes that they can mate through it but small enough that they can't get out. You will also need to provide them whatever food they normally eat as adults. And you'll need to provide the females with a good host plant to lay their eggs on. Most moths will just lay their eggs on a paper bag if you contain them, but butterflies are usually pickier.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
it seems they are fine to touch, as i rounded up all of them. I like the idea of breeding these caterpillars, because its way easier to get a bunch of kale all year round then other plants for silkworms and the like. How many generations do you think it would take for the insecticides to go away if I do indeed go through with breeding them?
You don't need to grow food for silkworms. Just buy the chow. Plenty of sites here in Canada sell silk worm eggs and chow for a good price. You just have to feed them chow from when they hatch or they will only eat the mulberry leaves. You can buy dry chow and prepare it yourself or buy cooked chow if you prefer.

I wouldn't feed outside things to inside pets. But that's just me.