can I collect now?

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
Where I live, the days have been appx. 50's, perhaps a bit lower in the days. Also, there are several arroyos and mesas, not too far from my house. I know what to look for, but, should I wait til spring to try and collect?
Peace,
Gillian

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wait till the burrows are open and theres no "web plug" over them.
The T's plug them up with webbing, leaves, dirt ect. to keep safe while they winter. I would go out scouting though, while its cool.
Find some burrows, then after the spiders get active you can collect a few. You know what I mean, ya don't want to wipe out the area.;)

Ernie

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
I know whatcha mean..I only really want one..:)

Peace,
Gillian

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: hey

Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
what t's can ya catch in New Mexico?

James
There are a number of Aphonopelma species found in New Mexico. A. chalcodes, A. sp. Carlsbad green, A. hentzi, A. behlei, and a number of other lesser known species and a bunch of undescribed species on top of that.

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gillian, Mr T.
Collect while you can, I am an avid outdoorsman and I constaly still see open burrow. Its still worth trying. If that fails look under rocks, but please be sure to put them back into place as it throws off the natural ballance.

Here is a pic of some nice Tarantula Habitate
Sincerely,

Brandon

Attachments

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
I know what you mean. I got rid of my quad cat, when I found out how it disturbs the balance.

Peace,
Gillian

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Hi all,
Where I live, the days have been appx. 50's, perhaps a bit lower in the days. Also, there are several arroyos and mesas, not too far from my house. I know what to look for, but, should I wait til spring to try and collect?
Peace,
Gillian
I think some sp. of scorpions may still be out and about? are you looking for t's or scorpions, or other inverts? (solifugids, vinegaroons, centipedes, millipedes, etc.)
Ed

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
Wait till the burrows are open and theres no "web plug" over them.
The T's plug them up with webbing, leaves, dirt ect. to keep safe while they winter. I would go out scouting though, while its cool.
Find some burrows, then after the spiders get active you can collect a few. You know what I mean, ya don't want to wipe out the area.;)

Ernie
one of my tarantula buddies has a new GPS that is so accurate it will locate a previously scouted tarantula hole or any other thing you set it for! very cool...
Ed

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Ed,
More than likely t's. Vinagaroons(sp?) Just creep me out too much..=D Although, I wouldn't turn down a millie or a scorp.
For that matter, I just may find t burrows on my property.

Peace,
Gillian

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
one of my tarantula buddies has a new GPS that is so accurate it will locate a previously scouted tarantula hole or any other thing you set it for! very cool...
Ed

Oooohh!

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ed,
More than likely t's. Vinagaroons(sp?) Just creep me out too much..=D Although, I wouldn't turn down a millie or a scorp.
For that matter, I just may find t burrows on my property.

Peace,
Gillian
I find the vinegaroons endlessly fascinating! I bought a huge one from someone that was thinnning her collection down last week, it is a WC from around where Darrin lives.
Ed

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Ed,
Are they completely harmless? I see them all the time in the spring/early summer. (Can you tell the seeds are being sown for me catching some, as well as the infernal pedes around my house..with the end result of me bringing them to Carlsbad?) What we also have a lot of here (help me Alex..*g*) Are something called"Children of the Earth". Wild looking bugs. From what I understand, totally harmless.
They are a clear amber color, and it looks like a toymaker drew lines all over them, in addition to eyes.

Peace,
Gillian

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ed,
Are they completely harmless? I see them all the time in the spring/early summer. (Can you tell the seeds are being sown for me catching some, as well as the infernal pedes around my house..with the end result of me bringing them to Carlsbad?) What we also have a lot of here (help me Alex..*g*) Are something called"Children of the Earth". Wild looking bugs. From what I understand, totally harmless.
They are a clear amber color, and it looks like a toymaker drew lines all over them, in addition to eyes.

Peace,
Gillian
"children of the earth"= jerusulam cricket? aka potatoe bug? looks kind of like a cricket on steriods? they CAN inflict a nasty bite! (I have pictures of one I caught here this summer but can't get my new PC to read the cam's cd)
the vinegaroons can spray a vinegary smelling substance from their telson, can sting if it gets in your eyes, just wear glasses and collect them. if I were you I would catch everything you could and take them with you the the ATS conference, might be worthy to donate for raffles or to sell/trade for t's you might want.
anything left over could always be released when you get back home.
Ed

Last edited:

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Ed,
I just talked to my mom. She said the name was right. They look like big plastic toys. Reeally big. As for catching, I'm so eager to make people happy, I'll probably give them away. :)
Peace,
Gillian

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Solifugae

The name "child of the earth" can also reffer to solifugids. Species of the family Eremobatidae can be extremely common in NM, including Eremobates pallidus, Eremobates pallipes, Eremobates papillatus, Eremobates texanus, Eremobates marathoni, Eremobates hystrix, Eremobates quenini, and Eremobates polhemusi.

Alex S.