Can DKS be caused by logs?

jeryst

Arachnopeon
I have been reading about DKS. I never knew about it before.

I have read that it can be caused by using natural substances like moss, potting soil, etc.

I have a half log in my Chacos enclosure, and I'm wondering if it is safe, or if I should remove it. I bought it at a pet store, but if it may contribute to DKS, maybe I should just get a clay pot instead.

What do you guys think?

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
From what I've read, nothing has been proven to cause the phenomenon known as DKS. I might have missed something, though, so maybe someone more familiar with it can add more.

As for the stuff bought in the pet store. I've bought several logs, bowls and other decor for some of my display set-ups and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I wash them with warm water before I put them in and have never had any T suffer from DKS. Some people, including myself, use the bake-method for natural decor found outside. It may or may not be overkill, depending on who you ask.

Either way I'm not sure the causes of DKS are more than speculation at this point so I wouldn't be so quick to re-decorate. :)

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would give the items a good wash and use them.

I wouldn't be concerned with the items themselves as much as I would be what could be on them (i.e., chemicals).

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am not well versed in DkS but from what I remember there is nothing known for sure as to the cause but there are people studying it. I also have not seen nearly as many cases reported lately as there were like a year or two ago. If it makes you feel any better many keepers who have been in the hobby for years use natural substraites with no signs of DKS.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good call Bliss I like to cook many of the items that can be cooked too.