Can discoid roaches eat pumpkin?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
With it being close to halloween I'm going to have some pumpkin chunks and guts laying around.. Any reason I shouldn't offer them to my discoid colony?

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
I have fed squash to some of my roaches, but not exactly pumpkins. Squashes tend to get moldy very quick if they are in an enclosed environment, so make sure you give enough that your colony can finish it off. I heard some people say they fed their roaches some leftover pumpkins from Halloween, so I don't see why they shouldn't be able to eat them too. Pumpkins also contain lots of Vitamin A & C and a fair amount of potassium (which is probably why mold likes it so much), with many more "superfood" nutrients that can be beneficial to more than just roaches.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have fed squash to some of my roaches, but not exactly pumpkins. Squashes tend to get moldy very quick if they are in an enclosed environment, so make sure you give enough that your colony can finish it off. I heard some people say they fed their roaches some leftover pumpkins from Halloween, so I don't see why they shouldn't be able to eat them too. Pumpkins also contain lots of Vitamin A & C and a fair amount of potassium (which is probably why mold likes it so much), with many more "superfood" nutrients that can be beneficial to more than just roaches.
Thanks for the replie I'm going to give it a shot with just a couple if they seem to enjoy it and live through the night (Lol) I will feed some to the rest of the colony.

As far as feeding fresh vegetables and fruit goes I introduce it at night and remove any left overs the next morning religiously.. Even though these are just feeders I actually enjoy keeping them very much and take alot of pride in having fat healthy roaches in my bin!

I'm also of the mind set that my Ts eat what my roaches eat so I vary there diet as much as possible.. I feel it makes a difference anyways.. Thanks again for your experience!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Well just an update to those wondering if discoids enjoy pumpkin and for reference to any visitor or member that happens to have the same question and uses the search function..

I put some pumpkin in my bin and they jumped on it immediately.. The reaction is similar to when you offer them apple's or oranges.. They are really going crazy for it!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've fed pumpkin to a couple species before and they have all enjoyed it. Seems like a nice seasonal treat for them!

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Feeding my roaches pumpkin as we speak. They eat all but stem and seeds. Don't leave in over 2 days or mold, gnats and flies will show up.