Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong with my tarantula?

destinieshenell

Arachnopeon
I've had my Rose haired tarantula for about three months. When I got her, she was in a very small environment with some kind of wood chips. About a month and a half ago I changed her entire environment and put her in a ten gallon tank with peat moss. She has a water dish and the water is kept fresh, and she has a hiding place. When I first put her in there she was fine, very active and ate as often as I would feed her. But for the past month she has refused to eat anything. She just sits on top of her crawl space. I mist the tank daily, and I keep her tank about 80 degrees. Could I be doing something wrong that is causing her not to eat? This is the first tarantula that I've had so it's kind of worrying me.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Stop misting. Rose hairs prefer it semi-arid.

Just don't worry about the lack of food intake. G.rosea are notorious for going on extensive fasting periods.

Edit: You may also reduce the heat as well. They are fine at 70'F.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Destinieshenell, Welcome to the forum. :)

+ 1 on Abraxas' reply. I'd keep it at a tad higher than 70 degrees but that's just my opinion. I only have experience with G rosea's relative G pulchra. Sounds like your t might be in premolt. Just leave it alone, keep a full waterdish and it should be fine.

Terry

Shaka

Arachnopeon
Answer: it's a G.Rosea. Don't worry.

Although I am still a noob in my opinion, I did a lot of research on the G Rosea when I first looked to getting into the hobby, and MANY sources say that the G Rosea is one of the best to start with, very docile 99% of the time and easy to keep.

However, they have been nicknamed the "Pet Rock" from many keepers. They can go without eating for months on end especially during seasonal changes or pre-molt, and may sit in one place without moving for AGES. So they have also been labelled as the most frustrating to keep by some as they are not extremely active.

Unless your T is in the "death curl" or showing very significant signs of illness, I don't think you have much to worry about. Keep your enclosure comfortable for the T as far as Humidity, water availability etc, and keep trying to feed it once a week and remove the cricket/food if uneaten after a day or so - until it starts feeding again.

Good Luck.

S

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi! Welcome to the forum and to the Grammostola rosea. I have one and she's a delight.
Tarantulas will go 'off-feed' for several days/weeks/months (depending on spider) before a molt. S/he will have a darkened abdomen that is on the fatter side, usually and refuse food. Keep the water dishfull and no misting, please. Room temp. is just fine unless you live in a cold climate where you need a sweater to be comfortable in the room. No heat pads underneath the tank should you feel you need one. Tarantulas dig to get away from heat which is naturally from the sun overhead for them. You will find your joy has dug herself to her cooked death if she feels too hot and starts to dig to cool off.

Ten gallon is a bit much for her but she should be fine. Be sure to fill her tank with enough substrate so there is max. a 1.5 legspan space between the sub. and the top of the tank. T's are like water balloons filled with hemolymph (their version of blood) in their abdomen and a fall of just a short distance could rupture her and cause serious injury or death.

There are stickies at the top of each sub-forum with very valuable information and the search function is your best friend:) There is a sticky specifically for the G. rosea that is a must-read. I also suggest a book entitled 'The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" 3rd edition would be best. There are many other written resources available that you will enjoy reading and will make your T ownership more rewarding for you and your new friend.
Oh, and picures, please!
WELCOME

destinieshenell

Arachnopeon
K, thanks everyone :)
I'll put picture of her up soon. Well as far as I know, she's a girl. I haven't figured out how to tell for sure yet because she doesn't like being handled much. Her name is Bubbles though.

Thanks again :)

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
Stop misting. Rose hairs prefer it semi-arid.

Just don't worry about the lack of food intake. G.rosea are notorious for going on extensive fasting periods.

Edit: You may also reduce the heat as well. They are fine at 70'F.
I agree stop misting and stop worrying they fast for long periods of time upto I believe 18 months was the longest I have heard of without damage to the T.