Can a tarantula be albino?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
No, it wasn't albino.Without pictures or a specimen, it's all hearsay. Given that there is no scientific documentation of true albinism in insects or arachnids, that's about where the argument ends.

If you have any publications to show true albinism, I'd love to have a read.
@viper69 lay some knowledge on him homie! Lol..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
is no scientific documentation of true albinism in insects or arachnids
This is not true.

albino tarantulas dont exist
A more accurate statement is there is no known albino tarantula. For decades there was no such thing as an albino Burmese python till it was photographed by NatGeo in about 1976 I believe, and if one knows snakes, the rest is history. The same is true for a recently discovered Brazilian Rainbow Boa.

Point is, just because we haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist RELATIVELY speaking. There is albinism in insects and variety of other "lower" vertebrates, no reason no to believe there is or wasn't an albino T in the wild. Though of course it would be hard for it survive being of different color ;)

And, while N. incei Golds, may not be albino, they are both a pattern and color mutation. So albinism isn't that far away IMO.

@viper69 lay some knowledge on him homie! Lol..
Will do! ;)

Does he have a publication on the subject? I wouldn't be surprised, he's brought a lot to light today for me already :rofl:

Correction, publications ;)

I've actually commented on this before with data. If you google this up you will find evidence of albinism in insects.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1525-142X.2012.00535.x/full

http://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/110004022280/

AND before you guys say "well that's only insects"....

Here's an arachnid for you from 1986!! :D:p

http://www.americanarachnology.org/joa_free/joa_v14_n1/joa_v14_p101.pdf

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
This is not true for at least insects. There is documentation.

A more accurate statement is there is no known albino tarantula. For decades there was no such thing as an albino Burmese python till it was photographed by NatGeo in about 1976 I believe, and if one knows snakes, the rest is history. The same is true for a recently discovered Brazilian Rainbow Boa.

Point is, just because we haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist RELATIVELY speaking. There is albinism in insects and variety of other "lower" vertebrates, no reason no to believe there is or wasn't an albino T in the wild. Though of course it would be hard for it survive being of different color ;)

And, while N. incei Golds, are not albino, they are both a pattern and color mutation. So albinism isn't that far away IMO.

Will do! ;)

I've actually commented on this before with data. If you google this up you will find evidence of albinism in insects.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1525-142X.2012.00535.x/full

http://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/110004022280/
Thanks viper those were the links that you shared with me but I couldn't find them..

Appreciate the info bro!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

And, while N. incei Golds, may not be albino, they are both a pattern and color mutation. So albinism isn't that far away IMO.
hey, im down for a couple albino A sp amazonicas or P metallicas. whites one of my favorite colors in Ts. i hope its just not discovered yet. thanks for the info. :)

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
hey, im down for a couple albino A sp amazonicas or P metallicas. whites one of my favorite colors in Ts. i hope its just not discovered yet. thanks for the info. :)
I found two albino mantids quite a few years ago. Had I not smashed that iPod with a hammer/knife until I lit the battery on fire I would show the images I took

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I found two albino mantids quite a few years ago. Had I not smashed that iPod with a hammer/knife until I lit the battery on fire I would show the images I took
Dare I ask about the story behind that :rofl:- I expect nothing less than "why not?"

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
No, it wasn't albino. Likely just a color morph. Albino does not mean "white", it means a lack of melanin.

What you saw was likely either a freshly molted tarantula, a different species, or a color morph. Without pictures or a specimen, it's all hearsay. Given that there is no scientific documentation of true albinism in insects or arachnids, that's about where the argument ends.

If you have any publications to show true albinism, I'd love to have a read.
Considering spiders contain melanin, it's wise to assume that an albino is possible.

http://jeb.biologists.org/content/early/2015/10/07/jeb.128801

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
What's interesting about coloration in tarantulas is that color is not produced by just one means. Sometimes color is from pigment cells (melanin), sometimes from sclerotization , and sometimes it is produced structurally (air pockets between the micro-plates that make up setae). As the article on albinism in a scorpion that Viper69 linked to explains, the albino scorpion was not described as white, but pale with the highly sclerotized parts appearing normally and the eyes lacking pigmentation. In theory, albinism in tarantulas would appear differently depending on the species and how colors are produced. For example, an albino Poecilotheria metallica would probably retain it's blue and yellow color because those are produced by the structure of its setae while the eyes, weakly sclerotized parts, and blacks produced by pigment would appear pale. Perhaps a pale yellow/ cream color. An albino Aphonopelma hentzi by contrast would probably appear pale in color since it's brown and black coloration, I'm assuming, comes from pigmented cells and sclerotization.

Enter the troglobitic species of tarantulas of the genus Hemirrhagus. There are few species of Hemirrhagus that live in cave systems in eastern Mexico as well as one from Brazil, Tmesiphantes hypogeus. The descriptions of some of these Mexican troglobites (I didn't note which ones) hint at the possibility that they are in fact albinos. The majority of the troglobitic or troglophile species are described as having no pigmentation in the lateral eyes, for the ones that have eyes anyway, and some are described as being a yellowish color and without pigmentation.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Considering spiders contain melanin
I couldn't find that paper readily, thanks for linking it. It's the same team that published the 2015 paper on blue reflectance in Ts.

What's interesting about coloration in tarantulas is that color is not produced by just one means
Indeed, I didn't' get into the above because I had already posted that paper a while back.
@Matabuey mentioned a different paper by the same group that published on the origin of blue in Ts. If you need the ref let me know, but I suspect you already own it.

It would be interesting to see an albino T, and observe what colors are affected, if any, in the normal WT phenotype's setae.

As an aside, blue is the rarest color in nature, and more frequently than expected it is not created by pigments.