C. vittatus (Pics) and some questions

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi. emmmm I'm not much in the scorpion business (actually cause my mother draws the line at keepin scorps :mad: ) but a few years ago I was with a friend of mine on a "safari" to catch some spiders... We had 11 when we found and succesfully cought 2 scorps that looked just like those ones (we didnt know and put them with the spiders... now spiders after a few hours=D )
We finally let them go so they had a nice lunch
My point is.... does this species live in Greece????:confused:

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Genious,

These scorpions in the above pics are native only to the southwestern US and northeren mexico. So they are not what you caught on 'safari'. What you most likely could have caught was the species Buthus occitanus. This species is common throughout the Mediterranean and Mideast.

http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/b_occitanus3.jpg

By the way they are on the dangerous side. If you should come across them again be careful when collecting them.

John
];')

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Out of curiosity, what species spider was this and how large were the scorps in comparison to the spiders??? I feed all of my scorps wolf spiders all the time. At least, during the warmer parts of the year, when they tend to find their way into the garages. My scorps appear to find them a great delicacy. Especially my A. australis' and C. margaritatus'. The others tend not to care too much about them and go after the crickets and any large lizards and locusts I happen to find while I'm in the back yard (minus the emps and H. spiniferis who love dining on Ts). Never had a spider or T that has been able to take out one of my scorps. I also feed H. trilineatus adults all the black widows and stuff I happen to find that are small.
Forgot to mention, thanks for the info on the pic in that book. I had been curious about it for quite some time. Though I thought it obviously was a Centruroides, didn't know what species, cause the only ones I keep are margaritatus and exilicauda. As for the pic of the T. stigmurus, I love it. I fould it on an online site also, but it had little or no similar coloration and was obviously the same photo. I scanned the pic out of the book though and it looks great as my desktop background. It just takes up a lot of space on the comp cause I scanned it at such a high res. I just wish I could get my hands on a few of them is all. Wouldn't mind a few T. serrulatus also though. Just don't think I'll ever find anyone to send me some. I know a little about why on the serrulatus, but no clue about any info on stigmurus.

edw.
SCORPS RULE!!!
hehehhe ;P

Last edited:

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't have a clue of what kind of spiders they were....
They look like some wolf spiders I have seen in books but I haven't seen any wolf in reality to be sure...
The one I caught were like 1.5 cm long (hehe find how long that is in inches;P ) so they were a bit smaller than the scorps... maybe i'll post a picture but that has to be in the spring....
Ow... if you go to my site : www.geocities.com/genious_gr
you'll find a video of a similar spider laying her eggsack....
The site is really premature...