C. versicolor hasn’t molted in years

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
I’ve had a C. versicolor for about 6 years and they haven’t molted in a few years. I got them as a small sling and now they’re about 4” I just want to make sure this is normal behavior for this species. I did have some issues with their health sometime last year but they’re doing much better and acting normal again. I know that long periods in between molting is normal for G. rosea as I have one who hasn’t molted for about 6 years. Should I be worried about my C. versicolor or watching for anything?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Even that is too long to my liking compared to all the Avics I have owned. However it isn't anything you can fix either. It's a smaller species, so at 4" I'd expect a bit of a slowdown.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Even that is too long to my liking compared to all the Avics I have owned. However it isn't anything you can fix either. It's a smaller species, so at 4" I'd expect a bit of a slowdown.
I agree with it being too long also. With how young they are it’s a bit concerning that they haven’t molted in so long. I know it slows down the older they get but this one went from molting once a year to not molting for multiple years.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
At around 4" I'd expect them to moult roughly once a year or so but that's just what I've observed with mine.

RJZerg

Arachnopeon
Certainly adult, molting time will obviously slow down, but I don't have this species, the specific molting interval is not known

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
That's crazy, mine's probably 3.5" now but it's molted pretty often (though definitely slowed down since a sling) when it was like under an inch it molted practically every other week.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
F610473C-A8F1-4517-8C3F-FB142AFFE3DF.jpeg 3B1BF022-4FC9-4DCF-AF7B-90866F148ECC.jpeg Ok here’s some photos. I couldn’t get any good ones with them in the enclosure so I had to take em out.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
View attachment 311292 View attachment 311293 Ok here’s some photos. I couldn’t get any good ones with them in the enclosure so I had to take em out.
Are you absolutely positive it didn't moult? Because it is not a mature male, and it certainly doesn't look like it has gone without moulting for that period of time. Sometimes they moult in their webtubes and destroy the moults...
It could use a meal or two though!

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Are you absolutely positive it didn't moult? Because it is not a mature male, and it certainly doesn't look like it has gone without moulting for that period of time. Sometimes they moult in their webtubes and destroy the moults...
It could use a meal or two though!
I am certain they haven’t molted in over a year for sure. And yes, they are a bit skinny. I just have yet for them to take something from me (as of recently.) Skittish little friend who tends to leave when I try to feed em. And this guys never destroyed a molt. And with the setup I would’ve seen it cause they opened up a side of the tube so I have a clear view in.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Just to rule everything out... could you post a picture of its whole enclosure, please?

Does it have a water dish? Have you seen it drinking? I mean, it doesn't look dehydrated, just thin, but if it were it wouldn't be able to feed. Just a thought.
I'm really puzzled as to why it didn't moult in such a long time. :confused:

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Just to rule everything out... could you post a picture of its whole enclosure, please?

Does it have a water dish? Have you seen it drinking? I mean, it doesn't look dehydrated, just thin, but if it were it wouldn't be able to feed. Just a thought.
I'm really puzzled as to why it didn't moult in such a long time. :confused:
Yes she has a water dish. No, I’ve actually never seen any of my 6 Ts drinking but I know they do. And I know she’s eaten when there’s cricket leftovers. She always leaves their heads.

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I am certain they haven’t molted in over a year for sure. And yes, they are a bit skinny. I just have yet for them to take something from me (as of recently.) Skittish little friend who tends to leave when I try to feed em. And this guys never destroyed a molt. And with the setup I would’ve seen it cause they opened up a side of the tube so I have a clear view in.
Ah, I misread your earlier post then, I thought she didn't moult in years, as in multiple. A year between moults isn't outrageous really, my guess is that she is simply a female that matured at an unusual size :)

Surfing Tigress

Arachnosquire
I’ve had a C. versicolor for about 6 years and they haven’t molted in a few years. I got them as a small sling and now they’re about 4” I just want to make sure this is normal behavior for this species. I did have some issues with their health sometime last year but they’re doing much better and acting normal again. I know that long periods in between molting is normal for G. rosea as I have one who hasn’t molted for about 6 years. Should I be worried about my C. versicolor or watching for anything?

I would say 'years' is def too long. However, are you sure they aren't molting? I know this seems like a stupid question but diff Ts handle their molt diff; hear me out....

I have one that when he molts he takes it out of his home and puts it by his water bowl, one that puts his right in front of his den doorway, one that leaves it in her web and I have to fish it out... but my metallica takes her molt, which they often do at night when not disturbed or enclosed in their den/web, (so you may not see the actual molt process anyways) and immediately takes in into her den, and webs it into/onto the ground or walls making it part of her home; and you can't really see it anymore after she has. It isn't obvious because she has substrate on it and once webbed in looks just like it did before but with a little bit of an elevated spot (till it decomposes I assume).

I typically remove molts as soon as they happen but her's I do not because she actually uses them as building material; she's earth conscious and recycles lol :) If I didn't occasionally walk in on her molt and have watched her do this before and pay very close attention to the den I would never think she molts.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Ah, I misread your earlier post then, I thought she didn't moult in years, as in multiple. A year between moults isn't outrageous really, my guess is that she is simply a female that matured at an unusual size :)
I would say 'years' is def too long. However, are you sure they aren't molting? I know this seems like a stupid question but diff Ts handle their molt diff; hear me out....

I have one that when he molts he takes it out of his home and puts it by his water bowl, one that puts his right in front of his den doorway, one that leaves it in her web and I have to fish it out... but my metallica takes her molt, which they often do at night when not disturbed or enclosed in their den/web, (so you may not see the actual molt process anyways) and immediately takes in into her den, and webs it into/onto the ground or walls making it part of her home; and you can't really see it anymore after she has. It isn't obvious because she has substrate on it and once webbed in looks just like it did before but with a little bit of an elevated spot (till it decomposes I assume).

I typically remove molts as soon as they happen but her's I do not because she actually uses them as building material; she's earth conscious and recycles lol :) If I didn't occasionally walk in on her molt and have watched her do this before and pay very close attention to the den I would never think she molts.
Well I say years cause I know it’s been at least a year and a half since she last molted. I have terrible memory and haven’t documented their molts in the past but I am now. She’s always taken her molt and just left it on the ground so I can remove it. But I love that you have one who used them as part of their home. I love that

Surfing Tigress

Arachnosquire
Well I say years cause I know it’s been at least a year and a half since she last molted. I have terrible memory and haven’t documented their molts in the past but I am now. She’s always taken her molt and just left it on the ground so I can remove it. But I love that you have one who used them as part of their home. I love that
They are a blast to watch how different each T is and they never cease to amaze me with the stuff they come up with :)