C. thorelli (pet trade) set-ups

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
My own C. thorelli (pet trade) specimen is 3" now and ready to move to a larger container. I'd be very interested in hearing about and/or seeing pictures of the set-ups others have used for this species, along with the advantages and disadvantages they have observed.

Joy

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Rookie advice

Hi

Well mine is about that size as well, a little smaller, but what I did was that I had a pot half-buried into the substrate, with half showing and half buried.

My Thorelli made 2 entrances, one in the back of the pot and one up front, and it has been thriving so far for 4 months with this setup and crickets are just gone everytime.
It has molted twice.

When I mist to keep up humidity, either s/he goes into the back or run up to the front openeing.

Some nights it's up walking around on the cage and it seem to be safe with it's enclosure/hideout, semi-burrow.

Well, this is IME and as I said I'm a rookie and I just added up with this oppurtunistic thing with the Thorelli.

So I made the conclusion that it might maybe like this setup further on in size as well.:)
Have a hideout inside somethig and at the same time be able to kinda semi-burrow.

Kenny

Last edited:

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Something ive been using for opportunistic slings is the combination of a rock crystal and a Iomega Cd-RW.

The rock crystal looks really nice and if firmly planted in the peat/verm mix will provide the T something to burrow against.

Contrastingly, I place the CD on the opposite side of the container, with half of it submerged and the other half sticking upwards from the substrate. I place it near the wall so the t(if it chooses not to burrow) will have two close surfaces to create a web-retreat with.

The data-side of the cd also works as a nice little mirror to look at your T should its hide be particularly hidden.

-V

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Joy,
It seems that they are very opportunistic in their choosing of a den site. Either that, or they're simply, not picky.
Mark Pennell of the BTS, and Sam Stableford both noted that wild populations were found in trees.
They do look like they're built for arboreal life, and being opportunistic, most likely live everywhere.
Mine all choose to live life terrestrially, even when given the chance to build arboreally. Though I think that tarantula's (in general) perceptions of captive arboreal situations vary greatly and obviously from natural conditions. But that's another topic.
Here's a pic showing the terrestrial habit of my 1st female. She was pro-terrestrial all the way!
john

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
well......

I dont really prefer that species, but i think all apiders should be eaten by other spiders or roam free or be kept as pets;) but thats just me. I didnt see how big ur spider was now?I think it said it was 3 inches???Well i have spiders of all sizes and i like 2 use a flower pot for shelter(Unless its a digger) and plastic crate for housing all my spiders. Well thats my opinion, u should try it on ur own and find out what happends:} .

Love,

Jay and Silent Bob

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Really John, all terrestrial? My female loves her burrow. I got the best tanks for burrowers and I just pre stick it and in she goes. She fits it the way she wants, and it's so easy to feed her. I never worry about anything in those cages. Care free species if you ask me, unless they give you something to worry about. I suggest you pre stick a burrow for it Joy.

-Jeremy

hooale

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How do you guys keep your spiderlings alive?
In Holland we have a lot of problems wityh keeping them alive. Many are dying. Maybe the batch that hatched in Europe was a weak batch. I would assume that they like high temps & humidity, or ....

It is a really nice spider btw too bad they are so rare & expensive overhere. I would love to get my hands on some.

Alex

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Thank you very much, everybody, for your input. John, my own specimen has been so resolutely terrestrial that I was leaning that way for her adult set-up. It sounds as though it would be a safe bet given everyone else's experiences.

Joy