C. margaritatus females both pop!

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey guys and gals, I just checked in on my C. margs only a few minutes ago and both females are giving birth at the same time! Surprised? I am. I knew they were both gravid, but I've never had two scorps bred a month and a half apart give birth at the same time. Very cool though and as soon as they will allow me to get some pics of them, I'll get them developed and posted. One female clearly has well over twenty on her back with one on it's way out now, and the other has three on her back now, one attempting to climb to her back, and one on the way out now. They've been extremely large for the past two months and I have been expecting them at any time. Well, it is about time. *lol*

adios,
edw. :D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
XO,

I would guess that they are taking their timing cues from some environmental factor. Any significant temperature changes around your place recently? Did you recently mist them, feed them or something else? It would be interesting even to hazard a guess as to what stimuli might have been responsible.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Everyone, Thanks!

Dave, indeed I misted the enclosure on Tuesday, 22nd @ approx 9:35PM. Feeding was of two very large crickets per scorp on Thursday, 24th @ approx 9:45PM. I got home from work on Friday, 25th at about 10AM , checked all the scorps, went to sleep for a little while, woke up, checked on them all again, and the young were all over. A great way to start the day before work! Temperature has also been increased from 78 Fahrenheit to 86 Fahrenheit (daytime) and from 74 Fahrenheit to 80 Fahrenheit (nighttime) gradually over the last two weeks and humidity levels have increased from 78% to 86%, as well.

adios,
edw. =D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
XO,

Well that sort of explains it all, doesn't it? It is spring .. time to have babies. Congrats on the new arrivals, BTW.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
*lol* Yup, pretty much change of everything in the relationship of keeping and pop!
T/Y

adios,
edw. :D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
That's actualy my plan for my C.exilicauda in about a week. Mist heavily, feed heavily, flood the substrate and boost the temps. Spring in Arazona.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It always seemed to work great for me too. Before I got this computer, I wondered if anyone else who kept scorps did that. I got my answer in the first thirty minutes I was online. *lol*

adios,
edw. =D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah. If they're gravid they'll pop and if they're not then they'll see what they can do to fix it. I have occasionaly pondered, however, which factor in particular plays the greatest role. Someday perhaps I will put together several groups of Centruroides and test them indipendently for light cycle, humidity, prey abundance, temperature and combonations of the above. Until then, however, I guess I'll stick with all of them.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well Dave,

While I had allowed an increase of everything available to me with these scorps, I didn't with the H. spinifers or Hadogenes scorpions the last times they gave birth. The only change they recieved immediately prior to their last birthing, was a 10-15 Fahrenheit temp increase. Automatically, the temp change also made adjustments to the humidity levels. They were not fed or misted until after their giving birth, but were fed about three or four days prior. I would think all of the factors would be of close to equal importance, though I may be incorrect to make assumations of that.

adios,
edw. :?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
XO,

It will also depend on the speices, I imagine. Species living near the equator won't get a marked light-cycle change. Species living in the rainforests won't realy have prey abundance issues like those that live in the farthest reaches of the desert.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I heavily mist my Hadrurus to simulate spring rains too...also in the fall when the monsoon season begins; usually after I hear the weather down in AZ.

John
];')

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
gravid scorps

While we're talking about gravid scorps, just wondering if it is safe for the scorp to ship it while gravid? Anyone have any thoughts or feelings on this?

Cheers,

Paul

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Paul,

Scorpions spend a tremendous amount of their time gravid and plenty of them are shipped while gravid without incident. The one potential problem is if they go through partuition en route. Since they have a fair degree of control over timing, though, I don't know that this ever happens.

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. Plenty of people have them give birth just after receiving them. Nothing wrong with that.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Dave, I have read posts in the Scorpion Enthusiasts/Fans and The Unofficial Scorpion Club where people received their order that had given birth during shipping on more than one occasion.

John
];')