C. lividum balled up and won't burrow

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
So I just got this little guy yesterday, freshly molted at my lps he had been in a little deli cup for a while now. He's (or she) eaten 2 crickets and looks very healthy, made a little web mat, but from what I've seen these guys are fossorial. So the no burrowing is worrying me. It is beautiful though. It's been balled up like that since this morning, it was very active at night.

And thanks in advance.

Attachments

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
I haven't had my 3 slings long. But all 3 of them preferred burrowing under something. Try a piece of corkbark as starter burrow.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
Thats what driving me nuts, it actually went in the hide yesterday then went back out and starting circling all over the enclosure, i thought everything was going perfect, then i wake up this morning to what you see in the pics. since 7 am not a budge.

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
Maybe it's to big. She's been in a delicup until now? And now in, a big enclosure with a big hide?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I just noticed the sub appears to be dry, these need moist substrate. Is it as dry as it looks in the photos?

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
just the top layer is a bit dry now, i layered the substrate with the bottom being very moist with alot of vermiculite to hold the mosture well (bottom 2-3 inches) then the rest is freshly expanded coco fiber mixed with sphagnum moss vermiculite and topsoil for a bit of firmness, and i just misted the top a bit more , but you can see some condensation on the corners and much darker substrate just 1/4 lower.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It's fine man.. Sometimes they take a week or so to settle in..

Your lucky it is huddling on the bottom like that.. For some odd reason alot of times this species likes to make a web up near the top untill they chill out and make a burrow.. It can make the first few days pretty sketchy..

Leave it be and eventually it will make a burrow or use the one you have started for it..

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
Thats what i was hoping, i'm just gonna make sure the sub stays moist and leave him be in the dark for a while, hopefully it'll start acting like it should lol.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
Just wanted to thank everyone that gave input, also the little guy settled into his hide and webbed over it. Seems he just needed a bit more time to settle in.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
The T looks like it's a bit nervous, new surroundings, new substrate, give it some time to settle in, everything will be fine, it will eventually start a burrow or start using the hide, it looks healthy,
so TBH, nothing to worry about, hope this helps....