C.Huahini vs Mouse

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well Doug, thanks for putting it in perspective then :)
I will accept the fact that you were worried about the T.
Sorry if i jumped because i didnt expect to see what i saw on my thread as i didnt even give an update yet.

About dead stuff and pinkies?, Ive tried dead mice(trapped), but no go. And pinkies arent available for sale here.
The mouse was 3", but i doubt if its mass was larger than the T's abdomen (its fat!)...

I will still go ahead later this month with another live mouse. I accept your perspective on live feed, but i believe that our cares are our cares, but they are not to be pampered and are not immune to natural mishaps.

I cannot pre kill something just to give my T an advantage. :(

Its not that i do not love my Ts, but i just like to keep things as natural as possible for them...i would settle for a pet rock otherwise.

Cheers, and i hope no strings were pulled Doug;)
-e-

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Jobe

I will still go ahead later this month with another live mouse. I accept your perspective on live feed, but i believe that our cares are our cares, but they are not to be pampered and are not immune to natural mishaps.

I cannot pre kill something just to give my T an advantage. :(

Its not that i do not love my Ts, but i just like to keep things as natural as possible for them...i would settle for a pet rock otherwise.

I probably shouldnt say anything at all, I am new and inexperienced...but, if you were to provide a natural setting..if the T didnt want to eat the mouse, or it feared for its safety, it could run away in nature..or hide..in a tank, it is confined and that changes the "nature" of the creature. Also, a live mouse would not continue to stay in such close proximity to such a threat, in nature.
Giving your T an advantage by offering pre-killed seems fair because it is compromised by being forced to remain in the area you provide for it. That is not "pampering" it, well..maybe it is but that is the trade-off by caging and causing a critter to "live by our rules".
You say pinkies arent available, perhaps you could obtain a pair of mice, or a trio, if pinkies is what you would like, and they reproduce fast enough to keep you in great supply.

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Jobe, hey no worries, :D and good luck with your T. By the way do you have any other fiesty asians? these are my favs.

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by rapunzel
I probably shouldnt say anything at all, I am new and inexperienced...but, if you were to provide a natural setting..if the T didnt want to eat the mouse, or it feared for its safety, it could run away in nature..or hide..in a tank, it is confined and that changes the "nature" of the creature. Also, a live mouse would not continue to stay in such close proximity to such a threat, in nature.
Giving your T an advantage by offering pre-killed seems fair because it is compromised by being forced to remain in the area you provide for it. That is not "pampering" it, well..maybe it is but that is the trade-off by caging and causing a critter to "live by our rules".
You say pinkies arent available, perhaps you could obtain a pair of mice, or a trio, if pinkies is what you would like, and they reproduce fast enough to keep you in great supply.
:)
Dont worry, i understand your view all the same. I watched and only decided to leave the room after seeing the T chase the mouse around a bit, confirming that it isnt exactly hiding or trying to get away from the mouse. Also checked in on it quite frequently.

Mice breeding? hmmmm...ill give it a thought and try to see if i can facilitate that, although space constraints are now nudging my decision to 'no'...but still :)

-e-

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Doug H
Jobe, hey no worries, :D and good luck with your T. By the way do you have any other fiesty asians? these are my favs.
Yup, 4 out of my 5 Ts are asians :( availability really bad here...*sigh...

My non asian is a c.crawshayi
my asians are:
2 H.albostriatums
1 H.lividum
1 C.Huahini

Mean little things i assure you that :)

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jobe,

I think you probably know your tarantulas better than the rest of us do. Each one is different and some may take live food and others may not.

As long as you keep an eye on the mouse, I don't see any reason why not to let your tarantula give it a go. Obviously you are not trying to harm your own pet, especially since you have noted before that it isn't that easy to get tarantulas where you live.

I personally don't have the stomach to offer live food beyond crickets to my tarantulas as of now. Of course, the only species I have big enough to eat even a pinkie is my G. rosea and she takes pre-killed.

In the future I may offer anoles and hoppers to my bigger species. Why not give em a little variety? Plus, I bet some tarantulas really enjoy the hunt!

Let us know how your 2nd attempt turns out!

kellygirl