C. fasciatum

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Hey all...I'm getting a tiger rump tomorrow and was wondering if you could give me some info. I've got the caresheets and all, but I can't find much on temperment, speed, etc. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Swift's site says "More nervous than anything" -- Which seems fairly close to what mine was like before I sold him (He was about 2 - 2.5 inches)

When you first opened his enclosure and put anything near him, he'd have an attitude that would put a Usambara to shame. He'd rear up, fangs out, and strike. But a few seconds later, he'd dart off and never do it again. You could hold him and move him around and he'd be as calm as a G. Rosea (Although, a little faster..)

Sometimes, on a better day, he'd do the whole butt dance where he raised it so high, he'd lose balance and fall. Quite the kicker, too.

But like all things, every one has a different personality. You may get one that vicious all the time or one that you could cuddle up with before you go to bed :p

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I find mine to be extremely shy ... But doesn't hold back when you get anything close to him, he rears up, and gets ready to bite whatever is bugging him!
This one is however very fast... runs from the one side of the tank to the other with just a blink of the eye.
Mine doesn't kick hairs though.

But anyway, it will be a great spider to look at, when it leaves it's hide that is.

Dennis

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I have a spiderling, adult female, and soon to be mature male. All three of them are very fast, and will occasionally kick hairs. I've only ever seen my adult female threaten at all, and that was during a cage transfer. Overall a very hardy, though skittish species, in my opinion. All of mine are also hard core webbers, who don't always like to be seen.

Bill

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
So do you mean they are quick for a NW T, or are they quick like P. regalis quick?
I'm also getting from y'all that they aren't a handleable species. I should also say that my skill level is...maybe intermediate. I have 10 T's, two of which are OW. (P. regalis, P. murinus) I handle my L. parahybana on occasion.
This site puts the tiger rump at an experience level 6...is this due to speed or defensiveness, in your opinion?

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I would think he means quick for a NW T. My adult female if pretty fiesty, and occassionally threaten my tweezers and tongs, but has never shown me a threat. She does flick hairs, but is much calmer than my A.seemanni's are. She even occassionally allows herself to sit still on my hand for a picture, but she's been in training since a little sling for that :D

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Inktomi
So do you mean they are quick for a NW T, or are they quick like P. regalis quick?
I'm also getting from y'all that they aren't a handleable species. I should also say that my skill level is...maybe intermediate. I have 10 T's, two of which are OW. (P. regalis, P. murinus) I handle my L. parahybana on occasion.
This site puts the tiger rump at an experience level 6...is this due to speed or defensiveness, in your opinion?
Quick for a NW quick, I guess... though nothing compared to the Psalmopeous. As for non-handleable.. Here is the biggest and fastest of my three..

Bill

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Cool. ;)
I'll hopefully get some pics up tomorrow night or the next day.
I'm thinking I'll call it Sher Khan...:}

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't know if this is just a sling behavior or what, but mine just shakes her little rump and goes into a fear position.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How rude of me to tell you about my little C. fasciatum sling and not show you a picture! Well here she is. I still haven't thought of a name yet. I was going to name her Shelob but that would fit my Lasiodora parahybana better.

Last edited:

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
To anyone interested, here is an updated photo of my C. fasciatum sling a mere month later after she molted.

Attachments

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just as a point of interest, I took my 2" C fasciatum out for a photo shot recently.
Whilst not defensive, she is amazingly nervous and flighty. I've handled her, but she was skittish to say the very least. No aggression though :)

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine was docile. However, it was becoming more and more skittish by the molt.

My GBB and L. cristatas are also very skittish.

Jon

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez
Just as a point of interest, I took my 2" C fasciatum out for a photo shot recently.
Whilst not defensive, she is amazingly nervous and flighty. I've handled her, but she was skittish to say the very least. No aggression though :)
I'm just curious, does yours ever wiggle it's little bum whenever it feels a little threatened and on the defensive? I know mine does and it's a pretty funny looking behavior of hers.