C. exilicauda birth!

Curry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So after working on the car for a while I came in to see this in my exilicauda setup: Just thought I'd share some pics.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice:clap: :clap:

I have always liked exilicauda {D

Had a chance to count? looks like she gave you a good bit !

Curry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nah I didn't bother her just in case she has anymore on the way.

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow

mine just gave birth last month. its cool to see sling when molting while on their mum's back because their old skin ( what do you call that?) stick to the mum's body while they crawl out even if it's upside down. ( & i think they prefer to molt that way!) congrats!! :clap:

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Congrats on the babies!!
I've had a couple of females produce babies for me. They're a fun little scorp. Apparently the young don't do well if raised in a sandy desert environment.

Curry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea im gonna raise them the same way I rasied my vittatus. Soil and much damper than that enclosure. At least thats how I read they like it.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have 34 little babies (all 2nd to 3rd instar) from 3 mothers back in february. i keep them all in vials on peat moss and mist 1-2 times a week.

they should be growing faster, but mine just seem to want to take their sweet time. :?

Curry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had the same trouble with my vittatus taking long. On the second batch I kept everything the same but I upped the temperature and that seemed to speed things up. I also made sure they were all well fed.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i have 34 little babies (all 2nd to 3rd instar) from 3 mothers back in february. i keep them all in vials on peat moss and mist 1-2 times a week.

they should be growing faster, but mine just seem to want to take their sweet time. :?
It seems to me that these guys grow slower than the vittatus but now that I look at the dates etc I guess they're growing at about the same rate.
My normal C. sculpturatus/exilicauda were born November 26/06 and most are now 5I. They all went on a fast for about a month for some unknown reason in about February. If it wasn't for that they would probably be 6I by now.
My Gertschi were born March 13/07 and I have a few 4I but most are still 3I.
The normal ones seemed to grow fairly quickly but the gertschi were really slow going from 2I-3I.

I'm not sure I would keep them "damp" consistently Curry but certainly not bone dry either.

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice

wow, nice thread. i didn't know that. so basically babies of C.exci must be a little bit damp or not bone dry. thaks for the information.

Emmanuel

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
wow, nice thread. i didn't know that. so basically babies of C.exci must be a little bit damp or not bone dry. thaks for the information.

Emmanuel
Well I'm not sure about damp but some fairly decent air humidity. I use a false bottom set-up in my pill vials (30 dram). I moisten them about once a week so that the bottom of the vial is moist but the surface remains dry. They've gone through periods where the moss is bone dry but apparently it's not good for them to have low humidity in the long-term as juveniles.

Curry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice tip dom, im gonna try that out.

How do you keep your adults as far as humidity goes. I've read that some people keep them dry with a water dish and some people keep the sand moist.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I keep the adults dry and offer them water once a week but they have gone much longer without water. I recently sold my adults and am just raising up the babies.

Curry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow. So something really interesting happened today. Most of them came off the moms back today. I came back a few hours later and half are on the original moms back and half are on the other females back... I have 2 females and male in that tank...

I have never seen that before. And none of them are fighting or being eaten... Im still gonna seperate as many as i can.

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice

Wow. So something really interesting happened today. Most of them came off the moms back today. I came back a few hours later and half are on the original moms back and half are on the other females back... I have 2 females and male in that tank...

I have never seen that before. And none of them are fighting or being eaten... Im still gonna seperate as many as i can.
really? cool!!!! i still suggest sooner you should separate the babies from the adults...

Curry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok. Don't know how normal this is but:

The same female gave birth again today to another 8 scorps. I know thats pretty normal.

About 2 hours later the male started to mate with her, while she had the babies still on her back! It looks like the successfully mated.

I left 6 of the first batch still in there to see how they would do... I separated the rest tho. All the scorps are fully fed.