C.cyanopubescens molt pic

Vayu Son

Old Timer
Here is an underside shot of the ultimate molt of a male C.cyanopubescens. He had just flipped over when i took this pic, it shows the blue on the legs pretty nicely. enjoy!

-V

Attachments

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That is a beautiful tarantula! I love the deep blues!
By the way, is that its regular housing? Do they do alright in smaller accomodations? I had always heard a rule of thumb being 3 times the length by twice the width? Maybe I'm giving them too much open space?
I'd love to hear how you do their accomodations and how they react.
Thanks!
Ralph

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Ahhh, young grasshopper, but that's what a rule of thumb is. Something that's generally accepted, but not something that you have to follow. The easiest way to think about it is this. When you buy a game for the computer, if you look on the box, there's two sections of information. The "Minimum Requirements" and "Recommended Requirements" Think of the "Rule of Thumb" as the "Recommended Requirements" It's not that the T can't do with less, just that it would probably do much better with that much. For instance, I have T's that I have raised from slings to maturity in mini pet pals and beanie baby containers. Right now that count is at 4. We have P. cambridgei, P. irminia, P. regalis. and A. versicolor. Now if you look at the dimensions of any of these males and the dimensions of either the mini pet pals or beanie baby containers, you'll know that there's no way that they meet the "Rule of thumb" space requirements. These tarantulas are all eating well and apparently they grew well in these conditions as they're all mature now and I'll be giving a few of them out to breed this weekend as I, unfortunately, don't have any females for them myself. So just remember, while a rule of thumb is recommended, it's not a be all, end all :)

Hope that helps some,

Scott

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

That T did fine in that particular enclosure, and despite the picture, it really was quite spacy. I use the banana pepper jars more for arboreal species, and petpals/terrariums for the terrestrials. Here is a pic of the same enclosure with an usumbara about half the size of that greenbottle.

-V

Attachments