C. crawshayi RIP

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
After eating a leg off a few months ago and becoming more and more sluggish, my C. crawshayi finally had an awful molt today and I euthanized her. It's sad, but there's some things to be learned.

First off, after she kept bleeding from her leg wound, I applied a little superglue. It stopped the bleeding, but after a few months of the moderate to slightly higher humidity, it got moldy right on the glue 'cap'. I'm fairly sure this mold went right inside and caused the mutilated and abortive molt she went through this morning. I tried lowering the humidity and encouraging a burrow for months, but nothing worked. It could be that the fungal rot or mold had already infested that leg and that's why she ate it. Who knows?

Oh well. My recommendation - provide a premade burrow of foam and keep humidity moderate with a nice water dish. She did have a tendency to soak from time to time. Tarsal rot is way common with King Baboons. Since she took the leg right after I got her, I'm guessing she had it before.

:(

bill

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow that is crazy that she ate her own leg I have never heard of that before. Sorry about your loss.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry on your loss. I lost a king baboon over the summer, she was mature when I got her and only lived like four months in captivity. I will someday like to get a sling and try it that way.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
My condolences, Bill.

Joy

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hey Bill,

Sorry to hear that. I remember you posting about her eating her leg and I was hoping that she would pull through. Did you see any evidence of rot in the exuvia?

Scott

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

So youd say hi humidity is a BAD idea for crawshayi? Where do you get these foamarium thingys i keep hearing about.

-V

cweg

Arachnopeon
My KB and Humidity

I have a KB that is 5 yrs old. I bought it as a 1" sling. I keep the humidity at about 60% with misting about 3 times a week never letting the sub get too wet. I also never mist the spider itself. Temp about 75-80 F. Mine seems to like an artificial burrow i made from a plastic cup cut length wise. I can also observe him when I want.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
really sorry to hear that. :(
I have often wondered if I'm keeping mine too dry, but I know that excessive humidity is really undesirable with them.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged

Did you see any evidence of rot in the exuvia?
Nothing physical, but the smell was pretty strong, so I'm guessing there was at least some.

b

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My condolences as well. With the recent loss of a rosie that came in the mail nearly dead, I still have fresh sorrow mysef. At least I hadn't yet had a chance to become attached.

Bryan