C. crawshayi - how fast runner?

TheMachine5

Arachnopeon
Hey am looking at getting a C. crawshayi spiderling. However I saw on u tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2IMc-k3nFQ&mode=related&search=

a video of a P. murinus (Usambara Baboon) that escaped. I intend to be very carefull with my king baboon but is it anywhere near as fast as this. I am aware that it is an aggressive species with a fast strike but thought that it was unlikely to attempt that kind of escape. Is "baboon" a commonly used african description and these two spiders are completely unrelated?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
"Baboon" is just a word that gets put into common names because it sounds cool, AFAIK. The two species are not related as one is a P. and one is a C. (I'm in no coherent mood to spell them out, shh. ;) )

However, yes, any given Old World species is going to be lightning-fast and very angry. But from what I've heard about King Baboons (owner anecdotes), there's a good chance they'd go for attacking you instead of running off. So, uh, there is that, I guess. {D

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
go for it. C. crawshayi is a wonderful T. I have had one for about a year now and it is about 2" now. (just started showing some attitude). While it spends most of it's time in it's burrow it is extremely cool to watch and see the tunnel systems they create. lukley with my set up I can see it when ever i want i just have to look from under the cage. as to your question about the speed even when she is out of her cage she does not take to running off, she tends to stay and show off her awsome threat display.

hope this helps some.

TheMachine5

Arachnopeon
Thanks a lot I am going to be very careful when doing any cage maintenance.

Can 2-3 cm juveniles be kept in a small critter keeper (about a 1 gallon - or is too big would smaller tub with air holes punched in better)

Does the critter keeper need to be placed in a glass aquarium to keep humidity levels up? ( - Wasn’t sure if was just local pet store trying to get me to buy more equipment)

Many thanks for replies so far :)

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they can run and jump VERY fast i have not seen a lot of attitude from them yet i only got them on thursday LOL but keep your eyes on them ALL the time {D anyway good luck if you get one ( i got 5 of them {D :evil: ) ---- PHIL

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Every time one of my Africans makes a run for it, it's kind of like this:

[YOUTUBE]PaPCvmz01d0[/YOUTUBE]

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hi i have 3 of these guys 1 large female shes huge just molted shes like 8 inches maybe a little more the other 2 are around 2 or 3 inches i don't find them to fast nothing like a P. murinus i love em there pretty easy to look after my large female did bite my tongs one day though and her fangs are very large chris..

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
Awesome clip of the Usambara. I just ordered one and I'm glad I could show that to my husband so he knows not to mess with it. Geesch. That thing flew out like it had wings.. lol

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
"Baboon" is just a word that gets put into common names because it sounds cool, AFAIK. The two species are not related as one is a P. and one is a C. (I'm in no coherent mood to spell them out, shh. ;) )

However, yes, any given Old World species is going to be lightning-fast and very angry. But from what I've heard about King Baboons (owner anecdotes), there's a good chance they'd go for attacking you instead of running off. So, uh, there is that, I guess. {D
Actually, the term "baboon" comes from descriptions (by natives to explorers) of certain species who thought tarantula legs looked like baboon fingers.

As far as being agressive, no species will arbitrarily attack you. They will either hide or attempt escape. When they can do neither, THEN they will attack you.