Buying my girl her first T for her birthday

awiec

Arachnoprince
Are they easy to come by online?
I pick them up from a local reptile show in Taylor for 30 a pop. The next show is the 12th, same dealer has GBB as well, so you can sit and decide what you would like. Also there should be an influx of versis and those usually go for 20-25 bucks; costs 5 bucks to get in but the people are knowledgeable and can usually show you the parents.

ParryOtter

Arachnopeon
Would she enjoy picking out her own? To me that's half the fun! She could browse online and make a list of favorites, then you could get it for her or take her to a show and let her pick one out, set up the enclosure for her, etc.

Lrntolive

Arachnopeon
I know everyone is all about the versicolor and GBB, but I find the jet black of the G pulchra striking. I love the color of my 2 versi and 2 GBB, but every time I open the pulchra enclosure, I just admire it. To each their own I guess.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All the above mentioned ts are great I personally own a b Emilia a gbb both stunning in their own way and would make a perfect choice. But I have to agree about the g pulchra I own a stunning jet black 4" female and I dont know why but they automatically trigger " oo I want 1 of those in lots of people who keep ts ( me included) they are hardy calm and beautiful but in the downside they can be expensive slow growers that arent the best feeders

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
Everyone has pretty good answers and reasons. One thing I've noticed and not sure if it's just me or not but a lot of women really like the A.genics esp once they are a larger size ...maybe the robust-ness of the adults or the pattern . I mean who can blame them. Yeah they can be quite defensive and perhaps not the right choice for the first T but maybe a good selection down the line....christmas??? lol :p Best of luck with your choice for her I'm sure it will be well taken care of. :D

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
In terms of 'stunning', I agree with those who have suggested the A. versi or GBB. I have a B. emilia, and while her colours aren't very flashy, she's a little doll to hold.

If she thinks that a large, solid black T would be really cool (as I do), then I'd definitely recommend a G. pulchra. Mine is very active, loves basking under a light for most of the day, and it a voracious little eater.

Despite what some people might say, I'll plug the G. rosea as well. My first T was an adult rosea. She (and the other rosea I subsequently picked up) is a bit more moody than the rest. There are some days she seems to enjoy being handled, and other days where I'll get a slap real quick.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on (and her reaction to it). :)

cold blood

Staff member
What about pamphobeteus platyomma....the pink bloom. Big, gorgeous and bright pink.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
I pick them up from a local reptile show in Taylor for 30 a pop. The next show is the 12th, same dealer has GBB as well, so you can sit and decide what you would like. Also there should be an influx of versis and those usually go for 20-25 bucks; costs 5 bucks to get in but the people are knowledgeable and can usually show you the parents.
Holy moly you're from my area! I was going to ask how the reptile show is in Taylor. I grew up in Wyandotte btw, if you know where that is ;)
But yeah, maybe taking her to a show and seeing which one makes her have the biggest "Awww!"

---------- Post added 03-31-2014 at 12:30 PM ----------

In terms of 'stunning', I agree with those who have suggested the A. versi or GBB. I have a B. emilia, and while her colours aren't very flashy, she's a little doll to hold.

If she thinks that a large, solid black T would be really cool (as I do), then I'd definitely recommend a G. pulchra. Mine is very active, loves basking under a light for most of the day, and it a voracious little eater.

Despite what some people might say, I'll plug the G. rosea as well. My first T was an adult rosea. She (and the other rosea I subsequently picked up) is a bit more moody than the rest. There are some days she seems to enjoy being handled, and other days where I'll get a slap real quick.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on (and her reaction to it). :)
She likes my two roseas a lot, and I know a store that is selling super small slings, which adds to the cute factor for her. If I go with that choice I'm going to have an ARMY of roseas. Maybe enough to pull a little chariot? hahah

---------- Post added 03-31-2014 at 12:33 PM ----------

Everyone has pretty good answers and reasons. One thing I've noticed and not sure if it's just me or not but a lot of women really like the A.genics esp once they are a larger size ...maybe the robust-ness of the adults or the pattern . I mean who can blame them. Yeah they can be quite defensive and perhaps not the right choice for the first T but maybe a good selection down the line....christmas??? lol :p Best of luck with your choice for her I'm sure it will be well taken care of. :D
Haha, she might like that one. I think I can trust her with an un-standard beginner, nothing too crazy, but she's very good with my roseas and I catch her going over to the enclosure to watch them (especially if they are eating).

---------- Post added 03-31-2014 at 12:35 PM ----------

All the above mentioned ts are great I personally own a b Emilia a gbb both stunning in their own way and would make a perfect choice. But I have to agree about the g pulchra I own a stunning jet black 4" female and I dont know why but they automatically trigger " oo I want 1 of those in lots of people who keep ts ( me included) they are hardy calm and beautiful but in the downside they can be expensive slow growers that arent the best feeders
If I could I would get a g pulchra for myself! They are definitely on my wishlist.

---------- Post added 03-31-2014 at 12:36 PM ----------

Would she enjoy picking out her own? To me that's half the fun! She could browse online and make a list of favorites, then you could get it for her or take her to a show and let her pick one out, set up the enclosure for her, etc.
I was thinking of taking her to a show. It seems to be the most reasonable option and mixes in surprise with some choice on her half. Besides, I can meet local arachnid lovers :::: O

---------- Post added 03-31-2014 at 12:37 PM ----------

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful. This has been a fun thread!

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
.....She likes my two roseas a lot, and I know a store that is selling super small slings, which adds to the cute factor for her. If I go with that choice I'm going to have an ARMY of roseas. Maybe enough to pull a little chariot? hahah....
LOL......And that would work, but you'd have to have an OBT driving the chariot & using the whip... :D

friendttyy

Arachnolord
Well I just made a slideshow (not so good but good enough) of all my tarantulas! so here it is:
[video=youtube;0M2B1n4Aduo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M2B1n4Aduo[/video] The B.Boehmei is my favourite and quite colourful too!

awiec

Arachnoprince
There's a few of us Michigan people lurking around here and there lol
I noticed the influx lately, need to have a spider party at one of the reptile shows and to the OP I visit Wyandotte often as they used to have a killer candy store and Stroh's icecream. Also the Taylor show is pretty nice, its been a little slow lately but breeding is picking up so it should be in full bloom by June (her birthday month correct?). I'm going there this month to grab an A. sp Kwitara from my favorite breeder (man has all sorts of fun stuff) and some enclosures for my C.darlingi and T.gigas. Also someone suggested the platy, I have one and she/he seems like a pretty chill spider, anything you throw down will be eaten and all of the male of that genus get very vibrant and large (6-7 inches); the slings are also adorable and they grow fast. Also the people from Michigan Arachnids are good people too, but I haven't seen them there in a few months.

cold blood

Staff member
awiec, according to their site they have 25 available $35 ea. ;)

if you have dealt with them, message me..always interested in the closer dealers to reduce shipping stress/time.