Buthacus arenicola question

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
so my Buthacus arenicola died this morning. not sure why. just wondering if anyone here has had any problems with this species not eating properly and basicly self terminating.
i only had one of these guys. around 3" total length. he would ONLY eat fruit flies. would not eat crickets, mealworms, superworms, or dubias of any size. i tried everything. he would eat up flightless fruit flies though. every week-10 days i would offer him water and he would drink like no other.
based on your guys' ecperiences, just wondering if this species is a sensitive species and hard to maintain or if mine just got old and died.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Did you keep it hot and dry? Between 27-30 Celsius? A three inch scorpion that only eats fruitflies is abnormal in my opinion and experience.
Scorpions die for a lot of reasons, old age is one of them...Most of the time, you will not learn the reason of their death.

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
yes he was keapt hot and dry. i had the correct setup for him. it always worried me that he would only eat fruit flies. almost like he was affraid of anything bigger. mind boggler. better luck next time i guess. thanks for the reply.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yes he was keapt hot and dry. i had the correct setup for him. it always worried me that he would only eat fruit flies. almost like he was affraid of anything bigger. mind boggler. better luck next time i guess. thanks for the reply.
I can only think of death of old age if the captive conditions where right. Eating only fruit flies for an adult scorpion that is supposed to be capable of catching bigger prey, is really abberant. That they sometimes refuse to feed is known, but that is not the case here, so it seems.

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have had problems like that but in Leptochely just would not eat I did put it down to old age but tbh never really knew what was up with it.