burst abdomen?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
how do you tell if a T has burst it's abdomen? besides the obvious answer of 'it explodes' :wall: does it cause internal damage? and how can you tell? do you just have to wait it out and see?:confused:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Burst usually means you can see fluid coming from somewhere...... rarely in WC T's you can have parsites, and they may cause an internal bursting that might kill the T, but that is not common.

May I ask why you are asking?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
well, talkenlate, i used to have a prob with a falling A. seemani. that is, until i added more substrate. but then again, she still ends up falling-just not as far :wall: don't know why shes acting dumb....
and i don't want to have her hurt anything falling a little ways. you know, inside damage stuff.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As long as you have corrected the problem and you said you added more substrate then thats all you can do really.
Deaths from falling are normally falls that cause the abdomen to rupture. I have never heard of a T just dying from a few minor falls.
(but then again maybe that can explain some unexplained deaths)
Just wait it out thats all you can do.
Best of luck.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
cool. thanks man. yeah hopefully it will be fine. isn't a good rule of thumb to follow for height: only 1-2 leglengths higher than the substrate. she's about 2. i think i need to add a little more.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if your t goes on climbing, i would reduce the hight by adding more substrate to only half her legspan.

are you sure that it's a 'she'? constant climbing reminds me of mature males trying to go looking for a female.
or maybe your substrate is too moist. most of my brachypelma species and all grammostola species start climbing when i add new substrate that's even slightly moist. hate moist toes, i guess {D.

i have only one aphonopelma (bicoloratum) and have no idea if they are as picky about substrate moisture as brachys, though. but try drying it out, maybe that helps.

about 'internalk ruptures': a friend of mine had a m. robustum die after a fall, though she didn't leak any fluid at all from her abdomen or anything else. so maybe it's possible that they take internal damage and die. pity, it was a beautiful t i gave him for his birthday :(