burrows.... silly slings

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok... well, out of 6 various slings, so far my B. albopilosum, my C. fasciatum, and my G. aureostriatum have all started burrows up against the sides of their enclosures, but for the last couple days they've been burrowing almost nonstop... which in itself i know isn't too terribly odd, but they have all plugged up their entrances :rolleyes: they have no way out but to dig all the way back to the top... now, my fasciatum has just molted about 4 or 5 days ago, but the others haven't molted since i've had them (almost a month)... i was kinda thinking pre-molt, but the fasciatum might just be weird...

-Joshua

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Cave in???

Maybe the substrate gave and they got caved in. I've heard of T's using web to seal themselves in, but plugging themselves in - with the substrate??? I'd check on them if I were you.

Peace

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, i can see them as they burrow, and they seem to be taking the substrate and packing it in at the entrance, not even attempting to take it outside of the burrow, but i'll check on them again to see if they've figured a way out...

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My subadult P murinus seals himself in with substrate, and when a cricket walks by he pokes four legs out of the ground like a zombie in a horror movie, snatches the crick and drags it underground. It's very eerie to watch.

He used to dig a burrow, seal himself in with dirt, and lay flat on his back as if he were about to moult, before bursting out of the ground when disturbed like so:

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my vagans did the thing with the 'plugging up' when it was pre-moult. Thing is, i didnt realise it was pre-moult (was my first spider, and it ate when i gave it a tiny cricket, and i couldnt see a dark patch on the abdomen) I was afraid to disturb it, as i was told is was due to moult, but i did see some extra sets of legs, so i dug it out. I just thought that it had caved in though, but as you mention it, i guess it prbably sealed it like that, as there was web mixed up with the dirt at the entrance.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
My little Rio Grande (A. moderatum) blocks herself in like that,
I wouldn't worry too much. They come out when they are hungry:)

Here is a picture of it about half way through.
It's kind of fuzzy, but you can see what she did:rolleyes:

Attachments

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my curly hair does that. she's plugged herself in with a massive lump of webbing and peat. i pull away some of the substrate but by the next morning she has plugged it up again. i have to push the crickets into her burrow for her to feed but she always eats them once they're in there. i hardly ever see her outside of her burrow now.
Jono

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My subadult P murinus seals himself in with substrate, and when a cricket walks by he pokes four legs out of the ground like a zombie in a horror movie, snatches the crick and drags it underground. It's very eerie to watch.
I love it when they do that. only one of mine does it and i thought maybe it was an individual thing. just after his last molt, when he got back on feed, i noticed he was burried in a burrow with no entrance/ exit. tossed a cricket in andhe just reached up out of the ground and pulled it in. very living dead zombie like i agree.;)