Burrows collapsing?

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Hey folks, in your experience, will a T ever dig a burrow that can collapse on itself? My demon rose hair dug two inches down, and about 6 inches sideways as best I can figure. Can a T hurt itself by poor choice of digging?

Bill

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My P. murinus is in a collapsed borrow as we speak. He made a half hearted effort building it, and now he lays in it kinda doing pushup trying to get it off his back. Its funny to watch, and he's not in danger. He leaves it, and then worms back in. Its lined with web. So he's cool. :confused:

E

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had a rosehair that had a burrow collapse on it...cause I moved the cage...lol. Whoops. Didn't hurt her though, it was a MASSIVE burrown. I wish I still had the option of keeping her in a 20 gal aquarium. You have to know that by nature they can almost always get out of a collapsed burrow. Especially as long as you're using a good mix of peat/soil, or pure peat. Pure soil is very heavy, but still burrowable. I use pure soil for mine as the kind I buys holds moisture a lot better.

Marcus

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Burrows

Hello,
I figure if the spider does not need to burrow it dosnt need that much soil. If i give the T enough to burrow such as H livudum and H gigis, I give them a cage that holds the moisture better providing sticker so to speak. Even in the desert tarantulas down here were the soil is lose, and dry they never have problems. Soil type might have everything to do with it, even if the t gets traped they usually have no problem getting out.

Sincerely,

Brandon

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Hello,
I figure if the spider does not need to burrow it dosnt need that much soil. If i give the T enough to burrow such as H livudum and H gigis, I give them a cage that holds the moisture better providing sticker so to speak. Even in the desert tarantulas down here were the soil is lose, and dry they never have problems. Soil type might have everything to do with it, even if the t gets traped they usually have no problem getting out.

Sincerely,

Brandon
Well, that was my intent originally, however, this one has been a bit of a problem T as far as temperment goes. So, after Joy suggested an article to me, I decided to let it try to burrow, in the hopes that that might calm it down.. So far, it has worked, to some extent. I can now open the lid and toss in crickets without fear of her bolting out like she did in the old setup. She just balls herself up real tight when the lid cover get's popped, like a T would right before pouncing on prey. She's still not in any way handlable, I don't think, but the burrow has definately improved her habit of trying to escape when I feed her. I think in the future I'm gonna try to let all terrestrial T's I acquire make burrows, based on the results I've had with this one. Since they aren't really entertaining anyways, I figure I'd be better off makin them at home.

Bill

P.S. - how do you folks always get that bolded quote thing going on when you comment on someone elses post?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by conipto

P.S. - how do you folks always get that bolded quote thing going on when you comment on someone elses post?
Do you mean that??? :) In the bottom right hand corner of the post you want to quote, there is a button that says "quote". Click on that button and it will take you to a reply page with the post quoted. Delete whatever you want except for the stuff in the [] and you'll have your bold quote.

Scott