Burrowing

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My 2 inch emperor scorpion made a burrow right down to the bottom of the 3-4 inches of substrate i have provided for him/her and has had this burrow for a long time. I have stayed up pretty much all night, being the holidays and such, and have never once seen the scorpion out of its burrow. It simply will not leave its burrow. I realize it is nocturnal, but is it normal for it to live in a burrow 110% of the time? It is in a 5 gallon aquarium, which is very big compared to th scorp, with a mix of peat/potting soil for substrate and i use the water resivoir idea at the bottom of the cage to maintain a moisture gradient in the substrate for the scorpion's humidity enjoyment.

Mark

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd say it's pretty normal, especially for youngsters. I suspect they feel more vunerable than the adults. Are there any objects on the surface that provide cover? It might feel a little safer walking about on the surface if there was some easily accessed cover (in addition to the burrow), such as pieces of cork or even some low lying plants. I've noticed having cover objects on the surface seems to increase the activity of my emperors. I've also noticed that they almost always molt in the burrow, but usually they'll seal it if that's the case.

Wade

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wade, i have a half burried peat pot and two low lieing plants in the cage that the scorp used to hide under before it dug its burrow. Perhaps i will try mmvingthe plants into the middle of the cage closer to its burrow.

Mark

This pic was taken before i put the scorp in the cage....Its burrow is now under the empty green water dish, the tubes are for putting water down into the gravel at the bottom, and one of the 2 plants is near the middle of the cage now. I'll try moving the plants closer to its burrow so maybe it will come out and chill under some leaves or something.

Last edited:

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
ever had the scorp try to roll one when he was out getting a drink or a cricket?

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you dont feed him he will come out looking for food eventually (or will at least come to entrance, waiting for food)
Young emps love to stay in their burrow, that why my juvi is named Lump :)

MattM

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like OneSickPuppy said, try putting up the heat.
One of my male Cavimanus never showed himself, untill I increased the temperatur from 80 degrees to 90 degrees. Now he shows up almost everyday to take a walk down the terrarium.

It even worked on the C. Keyserlingi i've got, normally you never see those, my couple now comes out a day or two every week at least.

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I didn't see mine out of their hole for two months straight. It's normal, I have two now that are always out in the open. I think it's a personality thing.