Burrowing behaviour of C. darlingi slings

agep4

Arachnopeon
I picked up a C. darlingi sling at the northern invert show, feeds amazingly everytime, is just moved it into a larger enclosure and the past few days it has completely capped off the entrance to its burrow hide and hasn’t dug any alternate entrances, I haven’t seen it since it went in there and am worried if it stays there it won’t be able to catch it’s food. Could this be a sign of pre moult even if it doesn’t appear to be off eating.
Like I say it’s only been hiding in there for a couple of days so I’d this normal? Its just it doesn’t appear to have made a trap door or any sign of an entrance hole

Mpmackenna

ArachnoNerd
Totally normal. It is probably in pre-molt or doesn't want to be disturbed. I would check back in 3-5 days. It will come out if it gets hungry. I guarantee it. Oh and make sure water is available.

Sinned

Arachnosquire
Couple of days is nothing to worry about. I had slings close of their hide for 2 weeks or longer. I just make sure the substrate is moist and/or their water dish/bottlecap is filled up.

As others posted, when they got enough food to get to their next molt... they will wait it out before they start eating again afterwards.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
A webbed over entrance is a do not disturb sign. Darlingi are very hardy. If it was eating well, it's most likely in good shape. I wouldn't worry at all. It's normal premolt behavior. Keep the water dish filled or if no dish, keep a section of the soil moist.

agep4

Arachnopeon
Thank you everyone! So would people recommend to stop feeding until the sling emerges again or keep offering food? Other than that just keep a moist area and/or a small water bowl topped up and wait :)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Thank you everyone! So would people recommend to stop feeding until the sling emerges again or keep offering food? Other than that just keep a moist area and/or a small water bowl topped up and wait :)
If it's sealed in, I don't offer food; I just keep the water dish full (and part of the substrate slightly damp if appropriate for the individual).

It should come out (or at least break the seal) when it's hungry.

agep4

Arachnopeon
If it's sealed in, I don't offer food; I just keep the water dish full (and part of the substrate slightly damp if appropriate for the individual).

It should come out (or at least break the seal) when it's hungry.
Brilliant :) thank you and thank you to everyone for the advice!

How long would people leave a sling that’s capped away before checking on it? It’s been several days now and still no sign of the sling uncapping then burrow, it’s my first sling and I get worried aha

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
A few days are nothing. Let it be. I know it's hard but you really need to learn to wait and be patient. :)

In the meantime read this. ;)

agep4

Arachnopeon
upload_2018-4-23_16-43-50.jpeg
13 days later and we have our first sign of life XD The Captain Darling has removed the cap to its burrow and is lurking deep within it, still not come out yet but a positive note at least