Burrow keeps caving in (Brachypelma Albopilosum)

hilltowner

Arachnopeon
  • My (probably close to around 4 inch) B Albo's burrow has caved in numerous times, never been big, but now His hide is messed up after he dug an exit from his burrow somehow underneath the back of the hide. Should I take him out and press the soil back down and fix the hide or should I just leave him alone?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I use the coco-coil and mine hasn't had any tunnel collapses. Hmmm. Is your substrate deep enough? I assume it was packed down tight in the beginning?
Pix might help troubleshoot.

hilltowner

Arachnopeon
I use the coco-coil and mine hasn't had any tunnel collapses. Hmmm. Is your substrate deep enough? I assume it was packed down tight in the beginning?
Pix might help troubleshoot.
I tried to pack it down, but I'm not sure I did the best job :/

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
your albo just isn't a builder I guess :troll: I use peat moss for everything and when this moss is completely dry it is impossible to dig a tunnel through. Tarantulas line their burrows with silk which holds everything together like glue. All my arid species have this substrate and all have burrows loaded with silk lining. All burrows hold :)

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
your albo just isn't a builder I guess :troll: I use peat moss for everything and when this moss is completely dry it is impossible to dig a tunnel through. Tarantulas line their burrows with silk which holds everything together like glue. All my arid species have this substrate and all have burrows loaded with silk lining. All burrows hold :)
Maybe his tarantula has a broken spinneret.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I use cocofiber as well. The trick is to leave it slightly, just a hint of, damp when you put it in the enclosure. This makes for easy tamping down, and it holds the shape better. If the substrate is too loose, T's don't like it because it is too soft. I'd get your T out, dampen the sub a little and pack it down as tight as you can, including the hide. You can make a starter burrow underneath that. Add waterdish and spider and you're good to go :)
Maybe your B.albopilosum didn't get the memo about lining the burrow with silk :D

creepa

Arachnoknight
I agree with @Andrea82 the sub is to dry.
I suggest spraying once in a whyle to simulate rain..., outside it rains right??

Using a waterbowl only without spraying is not enough to keep the sub damp.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Change your mix. On anything that burrows, in addition to coco fiber, I mix in peat moss, plus some sand and vermiculite. It holds up well. Some just use straight up dirt.

hilltowner

Arachnopeon
there is definitely silk lining the burrow(i can see it on some of the sides that didn't collapse), but ill take him out and pack everything down more, and dampen it a small bit. or add something else to make everything a little stronger, thanks everyone!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You could mix in sphagnum moss to give it more structure. I did that a few times, no issues.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
My only fossorial lines her burrow with web, he changes it daily, it's kind of strange.

Shamrock

Arachnolover
I mix cocofibre and organic potting soil. I also recently started building underground "roofs" with old lego's. So far it works fine! I build it next to the glass so i can see my specimens.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Ground unicorn horn is a great substrate stabilizer. just add a few grams to a kg of substrate and you're good to go!