Buried roaches

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My A. genic just has a huge moult, and was looking VERY hungry. I picked up a couple of roaches to fill the genic up, but the roaches have buried themselves, and I don't think the Genic knows they are in the enclosure.

I don't want to leave roaches in my Genic tank to rot away. How do I get the roaches out with out removing all the substrate in the tank ?

Is there a way to bait the roaches to come to the top of the substrate ?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I used to worry about that myself, but I found that if I put two or three roaches in there and they all buried themselves, eventually they would come out to try and find food and get picked off by my hunting T.

But keep this in mind when you feed next time, take tweezers and pinch the head of the roach. The body will still twitch plenty and it can't effectively burrow anymore.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I used to worry about that myself, but I found that if I put two or three roaches in there and they all buried themselves, eventually they would come out to try and find food and get picked off by my hunting T.

But keep this in mind when you feed next time, take tweezers and pinch the head of the roach. The body will still twitch plenty and it can't effectively burrow anymore.
It's been two days. Am I just being impatient ?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Two days since the molt? Or two days since the roaches dug in?
If you are worried about your guy getting food now, pinch a roach and give it to him. The others will come up in due time.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Two days since the molt? Or two days since the roaches dug in?
If you are worried about your guy getting food now, pinch a roach and give it to him. The others will come up in due time.
Two day since the roaches dug in. The genic fangs are black, and it has already eaten 3 darkling beatles, so I know its good to go.

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to worry about that, but T's can feel the vibrations of the underground roaches and can dig them up. What kind of roaches?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No not to long at all. I just saw a male dubia I had to have put in my Rufilatas tank 3 weeks ago walk up the cork bark and get murdered. {D

Oh and like just mentioned I have seen them dig them up before to. They will get them if they want them.

I know its not roaches but I used those big green catapillers once and they burrowed straight down, and they next time I saw them my T was eating a moth.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i find them pretty often come up after a week or so lol the other day there was one in the water dish drowned

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I used to worry about that, but T's can feel the vibrations of the underground roaches and can dig them up. What kind of roaches?
I'm not totally sure. I got them off my T breeder in town. I know they can't climb, and that they are 1.5 inches ( no wings yet ) oval, brown, and really NASTY.

Thanks for all the help folks !

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well it took three weeks but my A. Genic caught both roaches. I was concerned she'd go into a moult, and get eaten by a roach... This big meal will certainly send her into a moult now !