Bumba horrida owners - typical behavior?

puffins

Arachnopeon
Hiya y’all 👋
I’ve got a 4” Bumba horrida who loves to climb the fake plants and walls of its enclosure and I’m just wondering if this is a usual behavior for this species. No obvious tibial hooks or bulbous pedipalps to point towards a restless male and the substrate is a mix of coco-coir and reptisoil which I let rain on half of and let dry out between waterings. Substrate height has been raised to try and limit possible fall distance and the lid is unclimbable.
I’m used to my N. incei being practically a pet rock with web so all the activity from my B. horrida is cool to see but makes me a bit anxious something might be wrong. Is this usual behavior for this species to be out and about all the time? I’m a relatively new keeper (about a year with 2 Ts) so I’m still learning how tarantula behavior differs between species and individuals.
Would love to read anyone’s personal experiences with their Bumba Horrida!
52078C45-6361-4886-BB6A-E65B149E8C06.jpeg

Moyzie

Arachnosquire
I have had a Maraca cabocla / Bumba cabocla / Bumba horrida for the past couple of months. He or she was in a small plastic pot in the pet store for god knows how long. The enclosure he or she is now in gives a bit of freedom, but is not oversized. There is a hide made of broken bark which "he" both uses and climbs on top of.
I also have wood/cork on the other side and he often climbs on top of it, sometimes he clings to the sides and at other times he goes and sees his dual enclosure cellmate (see other thread, its like they are in love)

He has flipped his waterbowl once in 2 months.

Very active but also likes to sit in the same spot, im guess when hungry (not surprisingly)

In fact, when I started feeding though the feeding hole on top rather than the crappy front door. Now, he sits as close to the hole as he can.
Coincidence or intelligence ?

------------
According to wiki, has many traits that imply it is closely related to Theraphosa blondi the Goliath birdeater spider
And its the same genus as Bumba lennoni, a tarantula named after John Lennon.

------------

puffins

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas can take days or weeks or months to settle into a new enclosure.
I got it late last year and it seemed to settle in nicely by burying itself underground for around 5 month lol. I suppose it could still be getting used to its enclosure now that it’s out and about.

Moyzie

Arachnosquire
I got it late last year and it seemed to settle in nicely by burying itself underground for around 5 month lol. I suppose it could still be getting used to its enclosure now that it’s out and about.
Thats interesting, mine hid in the "pre made" hide for a week or so before having a look around. At the pet shop i think he may of been there a while as when they opened the lid to show me he proper bolted and done a runner. Across the shop floor and around the back of a plant pot. Touch wood, I have never had an issue, clearly he is happy in his/her setup

There are random days where i see him move so much im tempted to get him a lead and take him to the park. I think he walks more the day after a meal come to think of it. Id of thought resting after a meal makes more sense, but whatever floats his boat.

I just tried to take a pic of him but he was too close to the door. Tried taking the pic through plastic, but looks crappy.
Slowly opened door but he walked to the back as i did so.

#helicopter

puffins

Arachnopeon
I have had a Maraca cabocla / Bumba cabocla / Bumba horrida for the past couple of months. He or she was in a small plastic pot in the pet store for god knows how long. The enclosure he or she is now in gives a bit of freedom, but is not oversized. There is a hide made of broken bark which "he" both uses and climbs on top of.
I also have wood/cork on the other side and he often climbs on top of it, sometimes he clings to the sides and at other times he goes and sees his dual enclosure cellmate (see other thread, its like they are in love)

Very active but also likes to sit in the same spot, im guess when hungry (not surprisingly)

In fact, when I started feeding though the feeding hole on top rather than the crappy front door. Now, he sits as close to the hole as he can.

------------
According to wiki, has many traits that imply it is closely related to Theraphosa blondi the Goliath birdeater spider

------------
Your B. horrida seems to be just as active as mine is, especially with that “courting” behavior you describe in the other thread 😂 tarantula interaction like that is so interesting, hard know why they do what they do. I’m going to guess this might just be a more active species and maybe other folk will chime in too with their experiences of them and either affirm or deny that. Thanks for sharing, gotta love these beautiful, long legged red-heads…

Moyzie

Arachnosquire
Your B. horrida seems to be just as active as mine is, especially with that “courting” behavior you describe in the other thread 😂 tarantula interaction like that is so interesting, hard know why they do what they do. I’m going to guess this might just be a more active species and maybe other folk will chime in too with their experiences of them and either affirm or deny that. Thanks for sharing, gotta love these beautiful, long legged red-heads…
I got mine, sort of accidently. I didnt want to spend more than £20 and at the shop I was going too had already gone through their availability list as it was online.
Id shorted my list to potentially three - but the Brazilian redhead was 4th or 5th on my list of maybes. But in the shop, very very humid it was.... I spent ages looking at the fish whilst waiting for a member of staff. Then when it came to it, my number 1 had gone, and then i said about the redhead. As a noob was just getting names mixed up. Thats all. But truth be told, im happy with my mistake - as i like the not so hairy legs. Think i got it mixed up with the mexican red rump. Oh well

Next on the shopping list are a Carabiner versicolor, Brachypelma bohemi, Holothele longipes and definatly a Psalmopoeus irminia.

With the horrida I am reaaaaaaaaly tempted to put it into a different enclosure. Bigger. Just because it moves so much. Ive got an empty terrestrial viv and I really want to get the substrate you can mold and make hides with. Ive got lots of cool wood already from my aquariums. Ive been looking at wild pictures of it to get some inspiration

Interesting page

puffins

Arachnopeon
I got mine, sort of accidently. I didnt want to spend more than £20 and at the shop I was going too had already gone through their availability list as it was online.
Id shorted my list to potentially three - but the Brazilian redhead was 4th or 5th on my list of maybes. But in the shop, very very humid it was.... I spent ages looking at the fish whilst waiting for a member of staff. Then when it came to it, my number 1 had gone, and then i said about the redhead. As a noob was just getting names mixed up. Thats all. But truth be told, im happy with my mistake - as i like the not so hairy legs. Think i got it mixed up with the mexican red rump. Oh well

Next on the shopping list are a Carabiner versicolor, Brachypelma bohemi, Holothele longipes and definatly a Psalmopoeus irminia.

With the horrida I am reaaaaaaaaly tempted to put it into a different enclosure. Bigger. Just because it moves so much. Ive got an empty terrestrial viv and I really want to get the substrate you can mold and make hides with. Ive got lots of cool wood already from my aquariums. Ive been looking at wild pictures of it to get some inspiration

Interesting page
I kind of happened upon my B. horrida as well but I’ve definitely come to really appreciate the species. An underrepresented T in the hobby imo, but I read they’re relatively new to captivity so that probably has something to do with it. Everyone I show it to thinks it’s a spider instead of a tarantula haha. Those are all great wishlist T’s! Next on my list is probably a Cyriocosmus elegans, love the heart butt and I find myself drawn to the dwarf species.
It would be pretty sweet to terraform a viv for one of these guys, would love to see that if you end up doing it. That’s a cool website too, ty!

Moyzie

Arachnosquire
I kind of happened upon my B. horrida as well but I’ve definitely come to really appreciate the species. An underrepresented T in the hobby imo, but I read they’re relatively new to captivity so that probably has something to do with it. Everyone I show it to thinks it’s a spider instead of a tarantula haha. Those are all great wishlist T’s! Next on my list is probably a Cyriocosmus elegans, love the heart butt and I find myself drawn to the dwarf species.
It would be pretty sweet to terraform a viv for one of these guys, would love to see that if you end up doing it. That’s a cool website too, ty!
New, and renamed... twice. Very little online about it. Ofc there are still 1000s of owners, but its nice to be new to a hobby and have something a little less common.

I was thinking about it and then went to the supermarket. On the way back I noticed a tree that had been on fire overnight. I went and collected some of the scorched bark pieces. There were also pieces of dead branch that i took. I feel like one of the pieces cut into two could easily make a semi shelf. Next I need to get the substrate with clay in, so i can mould a hide or two. But it will still have normal spider mix substrate too. Nice and soft and "earthy"

Looking at the times its been photographed in wild, more often than not its on a breeze block or some sort of human construction, The more wild photos, its often younger and its on tree trunks or at the base of a tree. So I think having wood is essential, and if theres anywhere with more than a 1 inch drop ill ensure the substrate is softer and deep. Definatly a climber by the looks of it, even if it doesnt web much

I'll be doing this within the next month or so

Moyzie

Arachnosquire
Behaviour update - he has "dragged" his waterbow (full, without spilling any) from one corner of the enclosure, about 4inches. Into the "cave" i have made out of bark.

I really wish i had that on video. Must of been done very carefully, pushing it along..
Unless he used 4 inside legs as lifters and then the 4 outside ones as walkers. But i doubt that somehow

ant ramblings

Arachnopeon
Mine was very active when i got it and such a great hunter really glad i got it .
The reason i got it was through seeing it in a pet shop had never considered them until i saw one .
They really do look very different to almost anything else .
I moved mine into a larger enclosure and put aThin bark hide open both ends i think it has very good senses even though there is hardly any Web .
If a cricket walks on the hide out knows and slowly works its way out even though the cricket can be 2 inches away then pounces.
I wander of these are more of an active hunter than most t's and maybe that's part of the hi activity and lack of obvious hairs .

Legal Old Me

Arachnopeon
Mine had become completely fossorial, she has built an impressive network of tunnels about 4” under the 6” deep substrate she has and has a sort of silk lined retreat under where I over flow her water bowl! She occasional pokes her legs out of the entrance to her hide but mostly I don’t see her. She does seem to be in very heavy premoult so I am expecting to see her looking much bigger and with a fuzzy black abdomen attached is a rare pic of her out where she basically glared at me through the enclosure then disappeared again

Attachments

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
Such a fun thread to read! I'm in the middle of deciding on getting a Bumba or a Davus pentaloris.
Based on how active some of these sound, I'm leaning towards the Bumba.

GarField000

Arachnosquire
I had D.pentaloris as well. Total different spider. Bumba is a small thin spider with long legs. Davis is a plump big abdomen :).
The davis was more skitish with me and always hidden and difficult feeding. When I had a visitor (also T lover) that loved her I gave it to her ....
The bumba is still here :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ant ramblings

Arachnopeon
I have had a long fossorial pre moult from my female, I didn't record when it started but I would guess at least five months . She is out and about again now .

Legal Old Me

Arachnopeon
I have had a long fossorial pre moult from my female, I didn't record when it started but I would guess at least five months . She is out and about again now .
That fills me with hope, does that mean she didn’t feed for 5 months either?

ant ramblings

Arachnopeon
I have found they are much easier to fill up than my other spiders . So yes long fasts are normal as well as long fosoreal pre moults .
I am planning to breed mine next year I think male is going to mature next moult and with those above mentioned tendencies I don't expect anything quick .

tylrp

Arachnopeon

Interesting page
Longipes are funny. Males a goofball that loves his water dish. Sits in it half the time. Female I never see.

caddude

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter

------------

------------
I have a Grammostola pulchripes that likes to sit and wait in one location when he is hungry. People say that they do not learn behavior, but I think otherwise.... He is very predictable with his (her?) feeding routine....