Bull snake regurgitated mouse.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello all. I have a wild caught bull snake that I have had for about a little over a year now. Always been a good eater without any problems. Just fed her the day before last. And today when I got home from work she had regurgitated the mouse. It was not digested at all which was odd to me because of how long the snake had it in its gut. I also noticed the snake went to its water after I fed it and drank for like 15 minutes straight. It was like it had not had water in a long time. Nothing has changed from normal except for the weather has been pretty hot. This worries me. Why would she do this?What should I do? When should I try and feed again?

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some possibilities would be internal parasites. She might also be really stressed for some reason (like going into shed). You might want to get a fecal sample into an herp vet to test for parasites.

Wait at least a week before you feed her again (possibly 2). This will give her digestive tract time to recover.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I also noticed the snake went to its water after I fed it and drank for like 15 minutes straight. It was like it had not had water in a long time.
Vomiting can cause dehydration. It's possible to offer them some gatorade to help restore the electrolytes and aid rehydration.

I'd say two weeks *minimum* before you try feeding again. Snakes have a massive esophagus, and that's a lot of tissue damage to heal. If it tries to eat too soon, it will be forced to regurge again. It doesn't take many repeat regurgitations to kill a snake.

If it was not digested at ALL, my first guess is inappropriate temperature in the enclosure. Just a guess--you say it's hotter outside, does this mean you've cranked the AC in your house? If a snake is cold, it won't be able to digest, and will try to throw up any food before it rots in the snake's stomach.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it was not digested at ALL, my first guess is inappropriate temperature in the enclosure. Just a guess--you say it's hotter outside, does this mean you've cranked the AC in your house? If a snake is cold, it won't be able to digest, and will try to throw up any food before it rots in the snake's stomach.

No AC. It was just warmer is all.....

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Overheating will also make them regurge sometimes.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
also the size of the food could also be an issue...make sure it wasn't too big