Bug Lights

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My Wal-Mart sells bug lights. These are lights coated in a special coating that supposedly makes them invisible to bugs.

Does anyone know what they are, exactly?

I'm looking for ways to keep my roach colonies cheaper ;)

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If they are yellow, they are supposed to not attract bugs as much. I use them on my porch to keep the moths and beetles from coming to the lights and dying inside the fixture. Seems to work ok for that purpose.

There are ceramic or other type fixtures that heat without light. I have one, but don't recall nor can I see the brand name. It was highly reccomended by reptile people and I used it for roaches for awhile and use it now to dry the parrot after he showers. It was sold out of some small outfit in Eastern NC.

Try posing the heat fixture Q in a reptile forum.
http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumview-15.html

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If they are yellow, they are supposed to not attract bugs as much. I use them on my porch to keep the moths and beetles from coming to the lights and dying inside the fixture. Seems to work ok for that purpose.

There are ceramic or other type fixtures that heat without light. I have one, but don't recall nor can I see the brand name. It was highly reccomended by reptile people and I used it for roaches for awhile and use it now to dry the parrot after he showers. It was sold out of some small outfit in Eastern NC.

Try posing the heat fixture Q in a reptile forum.
http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumview-15.html
I"m wondering if they just don't attract or if they repel. If they don't attract, then I'm OK. If they repel, then this could end up stressing my bugs.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They don't attract, as much. This is because insects (at least night-flying ones that fly to lights) don't see light as well in the red-yellow part of the spectrum.

I think that red-tinted bulbs are better for this, check out the red 'party' bulbs, these are cheap.

Wade

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dudes, no. Lights that DON'T attract bugs?! Y'all have gone crazy. Ha, just kiddin. I've had "lights that attract bugs" on my mind lately. I'm getting a lot of porch feeder bugs. I'm just not worried about the parasite and mite thing much.

I'm thinking about a bigger, different project ....attracting bugs with lights. Going to start a diff thread though.