Budget macro setup help

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
So I'm looking at:

Nikon d5600

tamron f017 sp macro 90mm f/2.8 di usd VC

$10 defuser

$100-$200 speedlight (is this something that only fits certain camera models?)

And I'm unsure about what tripod model to get, I'm looking for something that can be adjusted from less than one foot to six feet. (Maybe I'd need 2? 1 small 1 big)

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
Right quick: @Malum Argenteum my Nikon D3200 has a spot under one of the rubber side covers for a cable release; yours should too. While it's no wireless trigger it's still irreplaceable for "hands off the camera" shots.

As for speedlights, the brand specific lights work with their brand of cameras for high speed sync. I just have an el-cheapo Walmart speedlight that I can trigger with my on-camera flash (built in optical trigger). Without the high speed sync most cameras will have a max shutter speed of 1/200 or 1/250 when using flash. Considering I can just turn down the flash power and I'm not stopping fast motion I haven't cared enough to shell out the kind of cash for the camera brand flash.
I have a cheap ring light, but I've found that thing to be about useless.
I also diffuse my on-camera flash with a paper towel.:lol:
I can't comment on macro lenses as I don't have one yet; I just use an old SLR bellows.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
No, the D3500 does not have a plug for a cable release. It is a documented omission from this model. The D3500 was hobbled in relation to its predecessors on a couple features.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I have a mactrem carlsbad tripod. It goes above 5 feet and the center post can be flipped upside down to get the camera to the ground. I've used that feature a couple times for macro and it works great. The tripod also has a removable leg that can be used for a monopod. It screws into the rest of the tripod and can also screw directly into the camera mount. The head on the tripod is a quick release and is very tight (which is important when I have a very long telephoto lens/teleconverter combo mounted from the camera body).

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
No, the D3500 does not have a plug for a cable release. It is a documented omission from this model. The D3500 was hobbled in relation to its predecessors on a couple features.
Wow, I'm surprised Nikon would omit something like that.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I bought the "Tokina atx-i 100mm f/2.8 FF Macro Lens" last year and am satisfied. I think it came down to either the Tamron you listed or this one, but I can't quite remember, nor why I chose this one over that one if so. It was $400 new but I'm sure you can find one used. There's two generations, the "atx-i" and the "atx". I don't think there's much difference, might be able to find the atx cheaper.

You do need good lighting, but that's pretty typical for macro. I bought a cheap ring lens and it works just fine. My tripod sucks or I'd recommend one.

I took these with this lens:

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Always remember to check refurbished before buying used.

The d3500 has snapbridge making your phone the wireless connector. Refurbished is running at 349.
the d5600 is running refurbished at 499.
Both toss in the 18-55mm. It is a great lens for the price.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Alright it looks like I'm getting a d5600 on Monday with 18-50mm and 70-300mm lenses, are these lenses gonna be of any use to me?