brown recluse found in house, help!??!

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry I didnt realize that, I dont know how i ended up in this post, I know I didnt dig that far back.

oldworldspiders

Arachnopeon
Brown Recluse based on my experience

My advice is to call in a professional exterminator.
If I am not mistaken, Brown Recluses do not eat dead insects that they find here and there. From my experience with breeding them, they build homes with profuse incredibly sticky webbing and retreat until there prey is entangled in there webbing. Once the webbing is disturbed the spider is very responsive and is on top of its prey administering its crippling venom. Brown Recluses are called "recluse" for a reason. They do not come out and hunt prey, in fact they can go for extremely long times without food or water. From what I have heard, most bite reports are when a home has accidentaly been disturbed by your finger or what not. I am not saying that they will never rome because they will have to find there home or retreat once they leave the sac. The males will probably rome to find there mates like T"s do as well.
Look at it this way, at least you will know that it was the recluse that bit you and you can go to the hospital immediately and get treated. Most Recluse bites turn into serious cases because the "Time" factor plays a big roll. Usualy people don't realize they got bit by a recluse until it is too late and then you have some sometimes ireversible medical conditions.
Good Luck, and get an exterminator!

Last edited:

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oldworldspiders said:
From what I have heard, most bite reports are when a home has accidentaly been disturbed by your finger or what not.

Most Recluse bites turn into serious cases because the "Time" factor plays a big roll. Usualy people don't realize they got bit by a recluse until it is too late and then you have some sometimes ireversible medical conditions.

EH?! You really ought to read the available links all the way through and stick with science. Where in the world do you get these ideas? Way sensationalized view of L. reclusa! And just plain wrong info there...sheesh!

Last edited:

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tleilaxu said:
I spider that does that kind of damage is something I would not tolerate living near me.
The chance of receiving a bite that does this kind of damage is extremely rare. They are extremely skittish and run for cover, you almost have to put your hand right on them to get a bite like the pics you linked.

18 months ago I put 2 fingers into a toilet paper roll where a large female had setup her web. She ran out the other side and away from me, she practically ran across my hand.

On top of that, most of the recluse I find are pretty small, they would have a tough time even getting fangs into my skin, except in the "soft areas"

I live in Missouri and I've heard a statistic that brown recluse are in 70% of the homes here, I'm pretty sure for the area in which I live that would be considered a low percentage, it's probably more like 85%.

They are virtually impossible to get rid of.