Bringing pets over the Canadian border

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I live in NY state but go to college in Montreal. I want to bring some of my pets to school next year, but I'm not sure what the rules are about bringing snakes back and forth over the border. I've found a website with a form to fill out for pets, but it's $50 for each form for each trip, and I'm not sure if I'd need it just for one or two snakes? All the government websites I have dug up don't mention reptiles (except for turtles), it's all about cats and dogs and rabbits and birds. And I don't want to get them into Canada just fine to realize I won't be able to bring them back home for some reason.

I've brought my tarantulas to school this year, I called a bunch of agencies but couldnt get a straight answer if I needed any paperwork or anything. It was always "well you don't need anything from us!" They're not on cites so otherwise I guess I'm ok with them. (I only have two)

I'm going to contact the US fish and wildlife people when I get a chance, hopefully can get a straight answer out of them.

Anyone have experience with bringing pets over the border?

Lori

Arachnopeon
I am only familiar with bringing T's across the border. In Canada, I was told that a T did not need a special permit or require payment unless the species had a special status like a CITES listed species. For example a B. smithi requires a CITES permit to bring it across an international border. But a G. rosea does not.

Lori

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am only familiar with bringing T's across the border. In Canada, I was told that a T did not need a special permit or require payment unless the species had a special status like a CITES listed species. For example a B. smithi requires a CITES permit to bring it across an international border. But a G. rosea does not.

Lori
That covers the Canadian end of it. American laws are different and more complex, and would pose the problem in this case.
I don't know all that would have to be done on that end, sorry.

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I think I'm ok with the tarantulas. I called a bunch of people about that, on the Canadian and US side.

The thing is, on all the government websites I've visited, they either deal with pets like cats/dogs/birds/rabbits, or things on CITES. They always say "check with US fish and wildlife about reptiles etc." So there I go, and the only info on permits they have is for endangered species/CITES species. Don't mention a darn thing about transporting reptiles as pets.

Why is it so hard to figure this out?!? I emailed someone, I hope I get a straightforward answer.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
The Canadian end is easy, as arachnids are exempt from regulations. The USFWS, however, requires you to do a personal exportation. It is basically the same as a commercial export, except that you do not need an export permit but you are limited in how many specimens you can bring over and what they are intended for. You will also need a port exemption permit if you intend to drive stuff over -- you can ship it out of a designated port, though.

Cheers,
Dave