Breeding Russian Tortoises

jimmyx36

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anyone have experience with this? I'm going to start a project quite, quite soon. Hopefully it works out! Anyone got any advice?

Oh yeah, and the reason I'm doing this is because I hear that because they are so commonly WC that its getting a little too intense.

"Recently conservation researchers have stated quite plainly that the wild Russian tortoise populations cannot be harvested at current rates and the population is already in decline with an almost certain loss of its former range. "

- Northern Virginia Reptile Rescue, from the article "Captive Breeding - the solution to extinction?"

Oh... and come on? Who doesn't love little baby tortoises?

- James

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I believe it. They're such a popular pet and so nice that I'm not surprised. It's just like the red eared sliders. I'm not sure how easy they are to breed but I support ya! :worship: :worship:

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're extremely hard to breed, so good luck to You!
Never bred any Testudinidae, so no advice, sorry...

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have tried to breed these in the past and never had any luck! they ware hard to breed, eather that or i just suck at it:wall: So good luck to you, I hope u are able to do it, im afraid i have no good advice for you :(

limz_777

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just gotten mine tortise too , what diet of veges do you all feed?

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If You would study the life history and ecology of this species You'd find this is one of the tortoise which CAN'T be kept in captivity at all...