Breeding question?

mikey

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

I am fairly new here and have been learning as much as I can, but I have a couple of questions for you. And, I apologize now if it they have been answered many times and I missed it.. but here goes..

I want to breed (attempt that is) my red phase Chilean rose (G. rosea). However, she molted 11/5. Now from what I have learned so far, that means she is too close to her next molt and therefore the odds of success are extremely low.

Is this still considered to be correct? I realize that some of the info we have on our T's is still being learned and modified, so it is possible that this has changed.

(The next question will probably make you all think I am very stupid, but as I can NOT find the answer anywhere else..)

Once she molts again, can I then try to breed her, or will she no longer be "viable"? From what I have read, it appears that you could breed a female more than once, but NO where does it specifically state this fact.

Thanks,
Michael

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Michael, a couple of things need to be determined here.

<<<I want to breed (attempt that is) my red phase Chilean rose (G. rosea). However, she molted 11/5. Now from what I have learned so far, that means she is too close to her next molt and therefore the odds of success are extremely low. >>>

If your rosie is molting every six months she probably is not old enough for breeding. How long have you had her? My adult females only molt every two years or more. If you believe she is an "adult" then you probably have lots of time.

(no stupid questions here)

<<<Once she molts again, can I then try to breed her, or will she no longer be "viable"? From what I have read, it appears that you could breed a female more than once, but NO where does it specifically state this fact.>>>

I'll answer this one assuming you have an adult female. Most breeders suggest waiting 45-60 days post molt before attempting a breeding. Females store the males sperm until the next molt. I have one female I bred 18 months ago. Still no sac, but no molt either. If she molts, then the sperm is lost. In that case I would wait two months then breed her again. I personally would not breed this female again to another male prior to her molting because if she does produce a sac, I don't know if it was from male A or male B.
I breed one male to one female at a time.
When you place a male in with a female, he will drum the front legs and vibrate, doing pushups. Receptive females generally drum back. It is exciting to watch whether your first time or your 30th....or your....

As a post script, I have three viable sacs from mature adults (8 years old or older) and I had three this spring that were infertile from younger females (4 years old). Not scientific, just anecdotal.

good luck, John

Thanks,
Michael [/B][/QUOTE]