breeding question

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
So my male G.Rosea is ready... so ready;)
how do I know the female is ready ?
both are mature. And something I am not so sure about is leaving him in overnight for multiple romantic encounters.... I seem to be reading alot of folks posts stating that they have let them cohabitate for quite some time.

is there a site which deals with breeding in depth? if so could someone post it...

many thanks- and perhaps spiderlings :)

looseyfur
e.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Both Galeogirl and Immortal Sin have bred G. rosea. Galeogirl has been using my male for the last few weeks. I bred him with my females prior to shipping, but I couldn't tell you for sure if it was a success or not.

When I attempted, I put the male in with the female and they went at it fairly quickly. The mating lasted for a short while, a couple of minutes, and then the female went into attack mode and I separated them with a wooden spoon. Now, the difference between mating and attack mode can only be experienced, IMO. All I can tell you is that during mating, the fangs are in their normal position and once the honeymoon is over, it is obvious she's trying to bury her fangs into him.

If you want more specific info, I'm sure someone else will be able to help you out. Otherwise, contact one of the two ladies I mentioned earlier. Although they tend to be modest, they've both helped me out quite a bit.

Botar

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have bred these as well and IME the mating generally takes place pretty forthright. I would suggest to make sure they were well fed and that they were put in a container that the female had been in for at least a couple of days. I stood by and viewed the preceedings to try to intervene if things got violent. I also watched for inserts( the male inserting the tips of his modified pedipalps into the epigastric furrow of the female) and to take notes.The decision as to seperate them or not is IMO a judgement call. In the case of G. rosea I've noticed that the male alot of the time makes a break for it after a successful insert. At this point I usually remove him. I have only gotten eggsacs from this species twice-one of which was bad.

Hope this helps,

John

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The male will know if your female is ready. Put their containers side to side. open the lid and watch them. He'll go into her cage and do sometype of courtship shake if he thinks she's ready to go. The courtship varies from species to species. If they mate be ready to contain the male. He is going to run for his life (literally) once it is over. Good Luck
Mike

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I know we already spoke about this, but thought I'd reiterate for others....the mating pair that I have are currently co-habitating, but I doubt this is the 'norm'. They mated 3 times under strict supervision (AKA the wooden spoon!) and then showed no interest in EVER mating again.
I decided to put them together to see if they would co-habitate, and perhaps mate again, knowing it was risky. (with permission from the male's owner, of course).
So far, they each stay on their own side of the container, they both eat regularly, and seem to ignore each other's existance.
Today I observed the male moving around the perimeter, while the female sat in the middle of the container. She never moved while he was out and about. I don't know if he was gauging her 'mood' or looking for an escape!
Anyway, that's the extent of my experience with G rosea