Breed for fun!

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love breeding animals but unfortunately, aquarium set ups and rodents and such are out of the question. I'm looking for something easy and fun that will breed and I can observe and care for; I'm guessing this leads me to insects. As many suggestions, I would appreciate. Thankyou kindly

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Roaches, pick a color and size lol. Have fun choosing whatever u decide!

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think I'd agree that a live bearing roach species would be ideal for you. Hissers are a popular starting point.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Breed roaches. T.molitor are easy too.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
white spot assassins....nasty bite, so dont touch, but the females dont need a male to lay fertile eggs, and they are super easy to care for, and can take down prey much larger than themselves...

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do the mealworms sold at pet stores work, or do I have to order them from somewhere?
And white spot assassin bugs sound very interesting-are there any for sale in cali? Because added with shipping I think itll be really quite expensive.
Thanks for the replies :D

Last edited:

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I think I'd agree that a live bearing roach species would be ideal for you. Hissers are a popular starting point.
Mealworms from petshop are fine, just a bit underfed, nothing a baby carrot can't fix. You can also get a couple of female crickets for about $1, and have baby crickets emerge from the substrate about a month or so later, if kept correctly.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Go with roaches. They're amazing. :)

I second the mealworm notion too; very easy to breed and useful to have around.
If you want more of a challenge, try superworms. The adults are pretty cool beetles. :cool:

echostatic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I second the idea of superworms. Their pupae are alien in appearance and the beetles are pretty cool. There's a trick to getting them to pupate, but they're not too hard.

Another possibility is capturing a newly mated ant queen, belonging to a species that keeps to a small colony size. It depends on what you have around you.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
as for the assassins, i live in ohio, so i dont know...but i will be hatching some out all this year....trying to get a big colony going...and there are other people on here that have them and sell them...just put up a wanted ad...

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
.............And white spot assassin bugs sound very interesting-are there any for sale in cali? Because added with shipping I think itll be really quite expensive.
Thanks for the replies :D
Ken The Bug Guy is in San Francisco. He had assassin bugs on his website a while back. I don't know if he discontinued them, or just temporarily ran out.

http://www.kenthebugguy.com/

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
im not sure...best bet would be to post a wanted ad...they are very easy to care for, and grow quickly, can take down big crickets and roaches, are communal..although juvies like to eat another one when it molts, i had to sperate my juvies...i had over 140, then traded off 40, now im down to 3 adults and 6 juvies...also trying to hatch some more eggs the momma dropped around...i might wind up being able to hook you up with some in the next few months or so...depends on how many i got left..

Ken The Bug Guy is in San Francisco. He had assassin bugs on his website a while back. I don't know if he discontinued them, or just temporarily ran out.

http://www.kenthebugguy.com/

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I appreciate it catfishrod69. I was trying to help the California fellow: khil. He was looking for a local supplier.

The more posts I read about assassin bugs, the more intriguing they sound.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah they are pretty awesome..im getting some red spot ones soon too...i hold mine every once in a while, just let them crawl on my hand, or coax them on there...as long as you dont grab em..then they wont bother you..

I appreciate it catfishrod69. I was trying to help the California fellow: khil. He was looking for a local supplier.

The more posts I read about assassin bugs, the more intriguing they sound.

Spyral

Arachnopeon
I love isopods (rolly pollies, pill bugs) and they are usually easy to find locally. They live in leaf litter and can often be found under potted plants in nurseries if you don't have any "wild" land near you.

Also, Carolina science supply has a bunch of neat "kits" for growing bugs of all kinds: http://www.carolina.com/category/living+organisms/animals.do.

Good luck! :)