brazilian white banded bird eater (acanthoscurria genicultta)

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As an alternative to handling I let these out on the grass, tarantula don't tend to run for long distances and are much likely to gracefully walk over your lawn.
Definitely one of my favourites for all the reasons suggested. I personally soak the substrate and then let it dry out, they seem to prefer off dry substrate, no surprise considering they come from a rain forest.
As one of the giants of the tarantula world these will eat more than the usual 1 or 2 crickets per week, they'll readily take 3 or 4 in one go!
I have both of mine in low lying tanks but I prefer the one with elevated branches as she seems to love ambushing crickets from above.
To me they're everything you want to show off about a tarantula - mostly on show, great patterns, fast and ravenous. Enjoy your genic!

hupababy83

Arachnopeon
Thank you Poxi. I can't wait to get her.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the males and females? Are their colors different? I know size difference is supposed to be huge, or so I read, and males live only a couple years and females can live 10-15. Is this true.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There may be some subtle differences but I didnt spot them until maturity. As with most species once the male matures he develops emboli and tibial hooks, his body slender with long legs, they become very active and the appetite severely reduces. Apart from that the colouration remains.
I'd suggest approx 20 years for the females and males will live up to 2 years after maturity if you continue to feed them small crickets and provide access to water.

hupababy83

Arachnopeon
Thank you again Poxi. I have been searching the search engine on this T, but I can't find anything under the Latin name, and they give me the other Brazilian white knee when I use the common name. is there a specific care sheet for this SP? and a oh sh*t what to do if bit sheet?

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As an alternative to handling I let these out on the grass, tarantula don't tend to run for long distances and are much likely to gracefully walk over your lawn.
Definitely one of my favourites for all the reasons suggested. I personally soak the substrate and then let it dry out, they seem to prefer off dry substrate, no surprise considering they come from a rain forest.
As one of the giants of the tarantula world these will eat more than the usual 1 or 2 crickets per week, they'll readily take 3 or 4 in one go!
I have both of mine in low lying tanks but I prefer the one with elevated branches as she seems to love ambushing crickets from above.
To me they're everything you want to show off about a tarantula - mostly on show, great patterns, fast and ravenous. Enjoy your genic!
I don't know if outdoor handling is a good idea for everyone, just because of possible pesticides.

Thank you again Poxi. I have been searching the search engine on this T, but I can't find anything under the Latin name, and they give me the other Brazilian white knee when I use the common name. is there a specific care sheet for this SP? and a oh sh*t what to do if bit sheet?

You have it spelled incorrectly in the topic title, it's "geniculata' That might help. Here's one. Not having had a genic, I don't know how accurate it is, but I use this site as a starting point for care info.

As far as bites? Not really, there's nothing in the bite reports here.
I wouldn't worry about it too much really, especially if you aren't handling.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you Poxi. I can't wait to get her.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the males and females? Are their colors different? I know size difference is supposed to be huge, or so I read, and males live only a couple years and females can live 10-15. Is this true.
The only way to 100% properly sex a tarantulas is to examine an intact molt from a tarantula of sufficient size and maturity. A 5 inch specimen is certainly of sufficient size to do this. By an intact molt, you need to be able to spread it out in order to examine the epigastric furrow, which is a small slit which runs between the forward pair of book lungs. I'd stongly suggest you studying the many existing sexig threads on these forums. Also, unless you are buying from a known, reputable seller, there is a chance that you may end up with a male. Take care and good luck.

hupababy83

Arachnopeon
Thank you both for replying. you all have been so patient with me and my many questions. I want to know ALL I can about this spider before I buy it.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know if outdoor handling is a good idea for everyone, just because of possible pesticides.
Obviously we have to be mindful of wherever we choose to put our pets, whether that be within an enclosure or times when we allow them to free roam. I don't use fertilisers or pesticides on my grass and whilst Im aware the wind can carry many things I don't think a short excursion out on my lawn poses any threat.

A bite from A. geniculata is likely to be more of a concern as a mechanical bite rather than the dangers of envenomation. Inch long sharp fangs can pose a threat as can secondary infection. You need to test the individuals mood before any interaction, possibly with a light brush on the back legs.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you both for replying. you all have been so patient with me and my many questions. I want to know ALL I can about this spider before I buy it.
You're one of the nicer newbs we've had in awhile, and it's been slow at work.;)

Pox:
Your spider, your rules, I'm just pointing that out in case someone else didn't think of it. No worries.

hupababy83

Arachnopeon
The only interaction with my little beauty would be tank transfer, cleaning, and feeding! oh and me staring at her constantly lol even though I don't plan on handling, I am educated enough to know "Hey Betty, its a big, venomous animal, and accidents, and escapes happen!" said the same thing about my boas (minus the venomous, add constricting).

I can't wait lol but more studying first

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Right, I'm just saying--if you aren't handling, a bite is incredibly unlikely, especially given that this is a relatively slower-moving T.
I mean, if it was something like an H.maculata--even without handling you might get bit. A.geniculata, not so much.