Brazilian Blue - Pterinopelma Sazimai

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
Here is one of mine :) Cant wait til she gets her adult colors
She looks great! How long did she take to grow to her current size? My first one - got it at 3/4cm at 2nd instar, after 3 molts since I got it in July it's just under 1.5cm.

Last edited:

XangerX

Arachnopeon
i don't remember....she might be a year old now. i dint keep records like i used too. she is getting seriously gorgeous though.

---------- Post added 10-02-2014 at 01:41 AM ----------

and she is ALWAYS out so I couldn't ask for more out of a display T

Akai

Arachnobaron
dang it! i just added another T to my infinite wish list. BLUE-tiful specimen btw. :love:

Joseppi189

Arachnopeon
I just picked one of these beautiful rare Ts up yesterday! He's about 1/2" but awesome eater, slightly skittish.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is there any info regarding this species' venom? Since they're Brazilian, it can't be that bad, right? Right.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Is there any info regarding this species' venom? Since they're Brazilian, it can't be that bad, right? Right.

Best advice regarding venom:
Use forceps/tweezers and keep your fingers from where they don't belong.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
Here's an updated picture of mine. It's the same one pictured earlier in this thread burrowed in the vial. Glad to see some color!

image.jpg

Cyuonut

Arachnopeon
I'm just conducting a test with my Pterinopelma sazimai. I've read conflicting opinions on the humidity of the bedding, and mine didn't seem to like to be in/on damp soil at all. So, I've rehoused my sazimai (leg span about 6-7 cm) in a terrarium with one side damp, one side dry. The sides are identical otherwise, meaning that temperature is the same everywhere (21-24 C, depending on the daytime). The hide spans through both areas, so the spider can travel to each side safely.

I have checked photos of Chapada Diamantina National Park and "campo rupestre bahia", and the ground looked dry. For example: https://adventuresofcamiandwolf.wor...brasil/chapada-diamantina-nature-lovers-must/

So far, my sazimai has showed no interest in the damp side. When I rehoused her, she didn't want to be there at all, and now she's burrowing on the farthest side of the hide, in the dry bedding.

I will keep you posted on what will happen. I'm not saying all you have been wrong; the national park may have very different micro-climates, and my spider may just want to be on dry areas for some reason I don't know. I'm just interested in this case, and will let you know how this goes.

My sazimai is still hiding on the dry side, and I've never seen it walk on the wet side. Occasionally it wanders around the glass walls finding something to eat. The next experiment: I will let the other side get dry, too, and make the the other side wet. Let's see if the tarantula moves it's hide to the other side.

I also got the following info from Rolando Caballero in Facebook: https://goo.gl/photos/w4r9kZ64QMWapMeS8
"So this specie they've found under the rocks. Temperature will be 20*-25* according to what i read. Substrates will be moist, not wet. during winter you probably add to your enclo some sphagnum moss. Substrates 3"-4" deep."

Last edited by a moderator:

Bugmom

Arachnolord
My sazimai is still hiding on the dry side, and I've never seen it walk on the wet side. Occasionally it wanders around the glass walls finding something to eat. The next experiment: I will let the other side get dry, too, and make the the other side wet. Let's see if the tarantula moves it's hide to the other side.

I also got the following info from Rolando Caballero in Facebook: https://goo.gl/photos/w4r9kZ64QMWapMeS8
"So this specie they've found under the rocks. Temperature will be 20*-25* according to what i read. Substrates will be moist, not wet. during winter you probably add to your enclo some sphagnum moss. Substrates 3"-4" deep."
Curious to know if you did this? Thinking of ordering some slings but want to know the best way to care for them.

del9800

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had this unsexed P sazimai for a year. Very slow growing only about an 1in - 1.5in... Does anyone know if all "slings" are blue or do I have a female here?

Attachments

ErkW

Tarantulas, Scorpions and other arachnids
Arachnosupporter
I'm having a hard time finding information about the lifespan of this species. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks,
Erik

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I'm having a hard time finding information about the lifespan of this species. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks,
Erik
Since they were discovered in 2011, it's hard to pinpoint a lifespan. Observing my 4's growth rate over the last 3 years, I'd assume 20+ years, rough estimate.

I've had this unsexed P sazimai for a year. Very slow growing only about an 1in - 1.5in... Does anyone know if all "slings" are blue or do I have a female here?
I know your question is old but no, males and females are blue. Even mature males are blue. They're not sexually dimorphic.

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
I already posted this in "Who molted?" but since this is a species-specific thread I figured I would post a picture of her molt the other day. Crazy growth...

sazimaimolt2.jpg

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I know this is an old thread, but I figured I should ask here to contribute to the information that one might find here, instead of having to search multiple threads.

Does anyone know the temperature tolerance of this species? My house consistently gets into the high 80's (87-89 degrees Fahrenheit) during the summer for around a couple hours. Is this too hot for this species? I realize that there are temperature listings earlier in the thread, but I want to hear from more recent accounts, of hopefully more people who have kept this species. There are also no definite temps given on their temp tolerance, just temps of where they originate from.

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
I know this is an old thread, but I figured I should ask here to contribute to the information that one might find here, instead of having to search multiple threads.

Does anyone know the temperature tolerance of this species? My house consistently gets into the high 80's (87-89 degrees Fahrenheit) during the summer for around a couple hours. Is this too hot for this species? I realize that there are temperature listings earlier in the thread, but I want to hear from more recent accounts, of hopefully more people who have kept this species. There are also no definite temps given on their temp tolerance, just temps of where they originate from.
I keep two of them in the mid seventies and it seems like they are comfortable. Always out on display, no signs of stress. Their type locality is located 1000 meters above sea level so I am assuming that they like it on the cool side. So to answer your question: yes, you might be keeping it on the hot side but as long as you don't go into high eighties/nineties you should be fine. Oh, and they seem to prefer a moist environment.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I keep two of them in the mid seventies and it seems like they are comfortable. Always out on display, no signs of stress. Their type locality is located 1000 meters above sea level so I am assuming that they like it on the cool side. So to answer your question: yes, you might be keeping it on the hot side but as long as you don't go into high eighties/nineties you should be fine. Oh, and they seem to prefer a moist environment.
Thank you, and fyi, I don't have any sazimai, I'm just asking the question so that I can figure out whether it's safe to have one.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron

Mine was in the mid-upper 80s and didn't seem too happy about it. After moving her to a cooler room and replacing the AC in the normal T room, she is much better now. The temp stays in the upper 70s during the day near her. So you definitely should try to cool the room down like @ThisMeansWAR said.

Spoodergirl

Arachnopeon
Here is one of mine :) Cant wait til she gets her adult colors
Just got a P Saz today and she had molted on her way here! The seller also threw in a juvie g porteri for free! I am so stoked!

Anyone got care sheet - info of this T? Couldn't find anything specific to its care - how big does it get? It is docile / aggressive? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just got this "unsexed" juvie for $65 which also included a free juvie g porteri. When she arrived, she had molted!! Now I have a proven female that is already starting to show her colors!!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: