Brazilian Black Tarantula - help needed ASAP!

TheCryptKeeper

Arachnopeon
hey so I have a female 10 year old Brazilian Black Tarantula. I got her late August and when I bought her she came with an enclosure which was set up with a thin layer of wood chip and a bendy wooden hide (like the ones you buy for hamsters etc) and had no water and was crawling around the walls and was very active. I rehoused her in a 30x30x30 exo terra vivarium, with a mix of deep Spider Life and Zoomed eco earth. I provided a ready made burrow and some places to hide. She was fine aside from still climbing the walls like crazy and didnt use her burrow (nor made one) but I just assumed it was because she had been kept on wood chip and was getting used to the substrate. Anyway fast forward a month and I decided to give her home a little upgrade and I bought her some wood (from swallows aquatics just for reference) and set her up a rather nice natural looking environment with a rock which she rather liked as she seemed to sit on it constantly. This morning I had realised that the wood I had placed in there (what like a week ago?) was mouldy. I was very upset and removed EVERYTHING straight away and cleaned everything out and set her up a new home once again. The problem is, is that I noticed she keeps sitting in the front corner of her vivarium with her legs high over her carapace. When I googled this I saw that it could be stress but im not sure what to do. She has never stopped climbing the walls since I got her which at this point is just her normal, but NOW shes sitting with her legs pulled in too? Im really not sure whats going on and I would really appreciate some advice. Im worried shes going to die or something or theres something im doing wrong, but all seemed fine until a few days ago.
Thanks for reading, any advice welcome.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Ditto on pictures helping.

IMO you went overboard with your response to the moldy wood. The few times I've gotten mold I just removed the troublesome decoration and any substrate it spread to. Completely removing everything again just stressed her out even more. A small amount of mold isn't that big of a deal, just let the enclosure dry out a bit to prevent more. You might have the enclosure too moist.

I've only gotten mold on misc wood that was baked for safety - some species of wood seem prone getting moldy after being sterilized. Cork bark is a good option that's pretty mold resistant.

She's stressed. It can take them several weeks to adjust after an enclosure swap. Just gotta be patient, assuming the setup is good.

* Are you sure it's a female? New keepers often buy "females" only to find it's a male, and sometimes a mature male at that. Pictures of the front of the T / pedipalps would help confirm it is a female.

TheCryptKeeper

Arachnopeon
I will provide pictures of her past/new enclosures shortly. Here are some pictures of her from the front. She was sold to me for £165 adult female tempImageSnwjz0.png tempImageSnwjz0.png

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Take some pictures that show the entire enclosure, not just a close up.

Looks like it's a bit too moist. The top should be dry with the bottom layers of substrate holding moisture. This is a difficult balance to achieve when the substrate isn't deep enough, and yours does look too shallow.

This enclosure won't let you make the substrate as deep as most of us will recommend, because of how short the front dam is. If these enclosures are used it's recommended to pile the substrate higher in the back where you're able.

Many people will discourage this kind of enclosure because of the wire top, as Ts can get their claws caught in them and get stuck in it. Since you just rehoused her again I'd recommend replacing the top with plexiglass or something instead of rehousing a third time. Just buy a sheet from a hardware depot and cut it to size. I think I saw a company pop up awhile ago that made purpose built lid replacements, but idk what their name was.

Based on these pics I do think it's probably a female.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Those kind of enclosures aren't good at all for terrestrial T's. You should replace that with a properly sized KK or similar, plastic ones (btw more cheaper than Exo's). You need for your spider floor space, not some sort of 30+ cm of height - Isn't an arboreal one. Let alone the front opening, quite awkward for non arboreal T's.

The risks in a case of a 'climb and fall' scenario are serious. For the wood-decor, stick to cork bark. As said above, the substrate seems too moist, a water dish is enough for that species at such stage.

TheCryptKeeper

Arachnopeon
Those kind of enclosures aren't good at all for terrestrial T's. You should replace that with a properly sized KK or similar, plastic ones (btw way more cheaper than Exo's). You need for your spider floor space, not some sort of 30+ cm of height - Isn't an arboreal one. Let alone the front opening, quite awkward for non arboreal T's.

The risks in a case of a 'climb and fall' scenario are serious. For the wood-decor, stick to cork bark.
I have kept other terrestrial Ts in the 30x30x30 and they are fine. She just always climbs the glass even in her pet store set up. She has also never burrowed or used the ones provided. still not sure why shes suddenly acting like this though in regards to hiding behind her legs.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Personally I'd get rid of the big rock to give the T more usable floor space. It's also a hazard if the T climbs and falls on it.

See if you can fit in a deeper water dish so it doesn't dry out quickly. They're not aesthetic but small deli cups work well.

Otherwise I think it's as good as it's gonna get without taking a bunch of stuff out / adding more substrate and stressing the spider out even more.

At some point in the future I would consider a different enclosure. This setup isn't perfect but it's passable if you ditch the rock, replace the lid to be safe.

"I don't know why she's doing this suddenly"
She's not doing anything suddenly, you just got her a few weeks ago and just rehoused her.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have kept other terrestrial Ts in the 30x30x30 and they are fine.
Ok, but that doesn't mean that those kind of Exo's enclosures are fine for terrestrial T's. The decision is up to you, I wouldn't risk.

She just always climbs the glass even in her pet store set up.
Considering that the 99% of pet stores T's set up are crap, no doubts about this :)

TheCryptKeeper

Arachnopeon
Personally I'd get rid of the big rock to give the T more usable floor space. It's also a hazard if the T climbs and falls on it.

See if you can fit in a deeper water dish so it doesn't dry out quickly. They're not aesthetic but small deli cups work well.

Otherwise I think it's as good as it's gonna get without taking a bunch of stuff out / adding more substrate and stressing the spider out even more.

At some point in the future I would consider a different enclosure. This setup isn't perfect but it's passable if you ditch the rock, replace the lid to be safe.

"I don't know why she's doing this suddenly"
She's not doing anything suddenly, you just got her a few weeks ago and just rehoused her.

she seems to really like that rock. Always catch her on it or sitting next to it.
About the enclosure tho, when I removed her from her actual Vivarium into a make-do one while I cleaned out, she climbed ONCE AGAIN to the top and it was only a small exo terra faunarium. Tho it was filled 3/4 with substrate.

so going forward I should try adding more substrate to the back? With that tank the front opening prevents that much substrate so providing more at the back will hopefully solve the issue. If not I will have to try looking for another vivarium.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
she seems to really like that rock. Always catch her on it or sitting next to it.
About the enclosure tho, when I removed her from her actual Vivarium into a make-do one while I cleaned out, she climbed ONCE AGAIN to the top and it was only a small exo terra faunarium.
She doesn't "like" anything, she's a spider. Her instincts tell her she needs a secure home/burrow, food, and water. That's about it. Keep it if you want but it's a hazard and reduces her usable space.

so going forward I should try adding more substrate to the back? With that tank the front opening prevents that much substrate so providing more at the back will hopefully solve the issue. If not I will have to try looking for another vivarium.
👇
This enclosure won't let you make the substrate as deep as most of us will recommend, because of how short the front dam is. If these enclosures are used it's recommended to pile the substrate higher in the back where you're able.

Hi
G pulchra prefers dry substrate. It may climb because the substrate in the enclosure is too moist.
Not sure how you getting moud if you keep it correctly.
Regards Konstantin

TheCryptKeeper

Arachnopeon
Hi
G pulchra prefers dry substrate. It may climb because the substrate in the enclosure is too moist.
Not sure how you getting moud if you keep it correctly.
Regards Konstantin

ah okay. Spider Life substrate is damp I would say, so would that not be good to use? Zoomed eco earth is VERY dry so maybe she would prefer that only? At the moment ive got her on a mix of both, but Spider Life probably makes up about 80% of it.

Hi
Im not familiar with the branded substrate mixtures.I use Westland topsoil with a little vermiculite mixed in it as its more cost effective.
Whatever substrate you prefer using make sure is packed down well so its not fluffy and even if moist just don't add water to it (no misting ,no overflowing the dish)and it will eventually dry out in the enclosure if you don't have any dry to begin with.
Also have in mind the older(larger) the tarantula the longer it takes to settle in after you modify the enclosure .
Also it maybe sth outside the enclosure that is the cause of her wandering and not settling in.Too bright spot,too much foot traffic arround the enclosure etc etc.
Regards Konstantin

TheCryptKeeper

Arachnopeon
Hi
Im not familiar with the branded substrate mixtures.I use Westland topsoil with a little vermiculite mixed in it as its more cost effective.
Whatever substrate you prefer using make sure is packed down well so its not fluffy and even if moist just don't add water to it (no misting ,no overflowing the dish)and it will eventually dry out in the enclosure if you don't have any dry to begin with.
Also have in mind the older(larger) the tarantula the longer it takes to settle in after you modify the enclosure .
Also it maybe sth outside the enclosure that is the cause of her wandering and not settling in.Too bright spot,too much foot traffic arround the enclosure etc etc.
Regards Konstantin
Thanks. I had her next to a M Balfouri and I moved it because I thought perhaps she feels like its in her space?
I was also watering the plants by pouring water on them from a cup, which now is more than likely making the substrate too wet.
Im going to add some more substrate up the back of the enclosure and see if that helps.
Thanks again I appreciate your help :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
This morning I had realised that the wood I had placed in there (what like a week ago?) was mouldy. I was very upset and removed EVERYTHING straight away and cleaned everything out and set her up a new home once again. The problem is, is that I noticed she keeps sitting in the front corner of her vivarium with her legs high over her carapace. When I googled this I saw that it could be stress but im not sure what to do. She has never stopped climbing the walls since I got her
You've had it a month and rehoused it like three times, it's not really any surprise that it hasn't settled in, once you make any corrections to the enclosure that are needed then just leave it alone other than to feed/spot clean boluses/top up water, it can take tarantulas weeks to settle into a new enclosure

Gutting an enclosure because of mould is extreme, the conditions that cause mould to thrive (excessive moisture and a decaying organic material in the form of the hide you chose, can't really blame a lack of airflow in this case seeing as it's in an Exo Terra) are more of a threat to the tarantula than the mould itself.

If you still feel panicky about mould forming then use cork bark for hides unless you're keeping the enclosure absolutely bone dry, it's much more mould-resistant than the habba/log hides you see in pet/aquatics stores.

Im not familiar with the branded substrate mixtures.
Spider Life is just sedge peat and coarse vermiculite iirc.

I had her next to a M Balfouri and I moved it because I thought perhaps she feels like its in her space?
Keeping enclosures next to each other isn't an issue.

I was also watering the plants by pouring water on them from a cup, which now is more than likely making the substrate too wet.
Live plants are a waste of time for a pulchra, plants need moisture whereas your pulchra should be kept predominantly dry. Also, your pulchra will most likely just bury them or rip them up later on.

Melamine ramekins are a great alternative if you care more about looks, they're also heavier so the tarantula can't just flip them/drag them off somewhere.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Keep the substrate dry with the exception of overflowing the water dish. G. pulchra's live in the grass lands of Uruguay and need some moisture every once in a while.

TheCryptKeeper

Arachnopeon
You've had it a month and rehoused it like three times, it's not really any surprise that it hasn't settled in, once you make any corrections to the enclosure that are needed then just leave it alone other than to feed/spot clean boluses/top up water, it can take tarantulas weeks to settle into a new enclosure

Gutting an enclosure because of mould is extreme, the conditions that cause mould to thrive (excessive moisture and a decaying organic material in the form of the hide you chose, can't really blame a lack of airflow in this case seeing as it's in an Exo Terra) are more of a threat to the tarantula than the mould itself.

If you still feel panicky about mould forming then use cork bark for hides unless you're keeping the enclosure absolutely bone dry, it's much more mould-resistant than the habba/log hides you see in pet/aquatics stores.

Spider Life is just sedge peat and coarse vermiculite iirc.

Keeping enclosures next to each other isn't an issue.

Live plants are a waste of time for a pulchra, plants need moisture whereas your pulchra should be kept predominantly dry. Also, your pulchra will most likely just bury them or rip them up later on.

Melamine ramekins are a great alternative if you care more about looks, they're also heavier so the tarantula can't just flip them/drag them off somewhere.

Okay thank you. I know ive rehoused her a lot and I get that they take time to settle in and whatnot, but im just worried since none of my other Ts have acted this way and are kept in the same exo terra vivs. I get that everyone is different but I just feel so bad because I know she was mistreated before and just really wanna make things right for her, Ive given her more substrate and provided a cork bark hide (not that she will use it knowing her) but at least the offer is there. She is eating but shes not that interested in her food, I fed her last night and the locust had managed to get itself directly underneath her, but she wasnt having any of it. I woke up this morning and she had it in her fangs and has now eaten it but does this mean shes maybe coming into premolt? I have no idea when she last molted since the pet store never told me that stuff. In fact they were quite happy for me to sign for her and be done with it. Anyway im going to leave her be and see how we go. I will however be looking for another viv since I cant really make it how I need to with the doors opening so low.
Thanks for all the help !