Branches for Millipede Enclosure

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Boiling or baking can kill beneficial bacteria
Boiling or baking can kill pathogenic bacteria and entomophagous fungi. Beneficial bacteria is located primarily within an organism's digestive tract. It is generally considered safer to eat cooked food.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I know nothing about millipedes, I just kept thousands of them
And McMonigle's been in the hobby for decades at this point, and has written dozens of books on care of millipedes, other myriapods, and similar arthropods. I think he's probably more of an authority on this than you.

Insectopia

Arachnopeon
And McMonigle's been in the hobby for decades at this point, and has written dozens of books on care of millipedes, other myriapods, and similar arthropods. I think he's probably more of an authority on this than you.
There’s so many flaws in that logic

1. There are various people who kept millipedes for longer than Orin.
  2. Writing a book about something doesn’t necessarily make it right, look at flat earth books for example.
  3. Love the way you just assume he’s “more of an authority on it than you” because you don’t agree with my point.

I’m not saying he’s wrong. I was just stating my experience with millipedes about how they do better in captivity if the substrate isn’t sterilised. If your going to bash me for it that’s your problem, maybe because of that kind of thinking we have bigger success with millipedes in Europe.

I do understand the ecosystem is different. Here in U.K. we have nothing mayor that could affect millipedes badly, not sure about US.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
There’s so many flaws in that logic

1. There are various people who kept millipedes for longer than Orin.
  2. Writing a book about something doesn’t necessarily make it right, look at flat earth books for example.
  3. Love the way you just assume he’s “more of an authority on it than you” because you don’t agree with my point.

I’m not saying he’s wrong. I was just stating my experience with millipedes about how they do better in captivity if the substrate isn’t sterilised. If your going to bash me for it that’s your problem, maybe because of that kind of thinking we have bigger success with millipedes in Europe.

I do understand the ecosystem is different. Here in U.K. we have nothing mayor that could affect millipedes badly, not sure about US.
I should clarify -- well-regarded, well-reviewed books. He's more of an authority not because I disagree with you, but because he is one of the most respected and knowledgeable figures in the entire hobby.
It depends on the area of the US whether soil is particularly dangerous to use.

Insectopia

Arachnopeon
I should clarify -- well-regarded, well-reviewed books. He's more of an authority not because I disagree with you, but because he is one of the most respected and knowledgeable figures in the entire hobby.
It depends on the area of the US whether soil is particularly dangerous to use.
In US yes. Outside of US barely anyone knows who he is.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Earthworms and nematodes are just a few things that can reproduce out of control in a captive habitat and make the substrate uninhabitable within a few months. In nature they do not do the same thing. A branch that has been in contact with the ground, even indirectly, can house these worms even if you can't see them.

...maybe because of that kind of thinking we have bigger success with millipedes in Europe.
There is no documentation of "bigger success" and you are forgetting they import thousands of wild specimens monthly. There were far more 'breeding' successes in the US when importation was allowed. Collecting eggs from a wild adult female is quite easy compared to actual captive breeding of captive reared specimens.

Last edited:

Insectopia

Arachnopeon
Earthworms and nematodes are just a few things that can reproduce out of control in a captive habitat and make the substrate uninhabitable within a few months. In nature they do not do the same thing. A branch that has been in contact with the ground, even indirectly, can house these worms even if you can't see them.

If you don’t want earth worms or other critters just leave what ever you wanted to use on dry solid ground for a few weeks.

There is no documentation of "bigger success" and you are forgetting they import thousands of wild specimens monthly. There were far more 'breeding' successes in the US when importation was allowed. Collecting eggs from a wild adult female is quite easy compared to actual captive breeding of captive reared specimens.
Clearly is, much more captive breeding and a lot of it from “captive reared specimens”. Last time I’ve checked a few American setups they didn’t even have any leaves. Of course it’s easier to blame everything on importation.

maxpede

Arachnopeon
Seems the safe bet is to always bake/boil at least for inexperienced keepers. logic would dictate less variables the better, at least that's how i view it. less things to consider or worry about.