Brachypelma Species Taxonomy Revision

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most of us are aware of the new taxonomy papers publishing soon with the Brachypelma species. According to Jorge Mendoza the taxonomists, he has stated that basically Brachypelma annitha is "Brachypelma smithi" and our hobby Brachypelma smithi is "Brachypelma hamorii". This is the latest update I have between these two species.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Most of us are aware of the new taxonomy papers publishing soon with the Brachypelma species. According to Jorge Mendoza the taxonomists, he has stated that basically Brachypelma annitha is "Brachypelma smithi" and our hobby Brachypelma smithi is "Brachypelma hamorii". This is the latest update I have between these two species.
A T firmly entrenched in the hobby and the most famous species by far in pop culture too, with a name change.... It might take decades for the hobby to actually use it regularly hah. Thanks for the news!

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A T firmly entrenched in the hobby and the most famous species by far in pop culture too, with a name change.... It might take decades for the hobby to actually use it regularly hah. Thanks for the news!
Oh man the Brachypelma smithi just became $100.00 sling and Brachypelma hamorii that the name as far as I know was never introduced to the hobby is a $15.00 sling. I just don't understand why the name could stay the same.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
So the current hobby smithi should soon be labeled as something like Brachypelma hamorii "smithi", and the current hobby annitha should be labeled something along the lines of Brachypelma smithi "annitha"?

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why would smithi, soon to be hamorii become a 15$ sling now? Only the name is changing, nothing more.

Hamorri's been around for 20 years.

http://www.birdspiders.com/gallery/...7-female-Colima-Mexico-Photo---Rodrigo-Orozco
The name is changing of the species smithi to hamorii and the species annitha with the name smithi. The price of the spiders still and should stay the same. Depending on the seller you can purchase Brachypelma smithi "hamorii" for $15.00.
Brachypelma annitha "smithi" which slings have been sold for $100.00 or more.

Since the name is changing doesn't change the fact of each species one being more expensive than the other as it has been for over a decade.

Please clarify what you don't understand.

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So the current hobby smithi should soon be labeled as something like Brachypelma hamorii "smithi", and the current hobby annitha should be labeled something along the lines of Brachypelma smithi "annitha"?
Yes that is correct the species smithi will be named hamorii and the species annitha will be under the name smithi.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
I think right now there are enough new people that have a problem with keeping these two species apart. Being correct in scientific terms and being practical in the hobby are two entirely different things in my opinion. Not sure if I would be a fan of changing the names as it will lead to a lot of confusion.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think right now there are enough new people that have a problem with keeping these two species apart. Being correct in scientific terms and being practical in the hobby are two entirely different things in my opinion. Not sure if I would be a fan of changing the names as it will lead to a lot of confusion.
Unfortunately taxonomists are not going to care about name changes on any species or what kind of effect happens to the hobby.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The name is changing of the species smithi to hamorii and the species annitha with the name smithi. The price of the spiders still and should stay the same. Depending on the seller you can purchase Brachypelma smithi "hamorii" for $15.00.
Brachypelma annitha "smithi" which slings have been sold for $100.00 or more.

Since the name is changing doesn't change the fact of each species one being more expensive than the other as it has been for over a decade.

Please clarify what you don't understand.
I thought you meant a name change would cause a change in price. We are on the same page here.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I bet the net worth of mine just doubled or tripled. I bought the most pure form that Petco had in stock when I got mine.:wacky:

Wait a second. They didn't include "Red Knee" in this document?

Last edited:

Pmuticus704

Arachnopeon
Don't be surprised that the taxonomic names of these two will be in flux scientifically for a period of time.. This always happens when taxonomic debates ensue after a paper is published.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Thanks!
When the revision is accepted by the WSC I''ll change their labels. Took a long time before the Smith/Jacobi revision of Cyriopagopoeus was accepted. We'll see how long this one will take. ;)

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks!
When the revision is accepted by the WSC I''ll change their labels. Took a long time before the Smith/Jacobi revision of Cyriopagopoeus was accepted. We'll see how long this one will take. ;)
That revision was a big mistake that will take sometime to undo. I know some people never labeled their species under the Cyriopagopus genus.