Brachypelma smithi bold spots..

Craigwoody92

Arachnopeon
Hi guys purchased my first tarantula the other day and it's a Mexican red knee juvenile :) today he/she had a wander on the side of the tank and I took a picture and noticed what looks like baldish spots under the abdomen is this normal? I'm no expert guys so any help would be appreciated please :) it's also very skittish aswell I gently touched the back legs a few times to see its temperament with a paintbrush 20161001_134346.jpg after letting it settle in a day and it will run a few steps and kick a few hairs haha :) cheers guys
Craig

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congrats on your first T! Those 4 light colored spots are the book lung covers. Nothing to worry about.

Also I'm 75% sure you've got a female there!

Craigwoody92

Arachnopeon
Congrats on your first T! Those 4 light colored spots are the book lung covers. Nothing to worry about.

Also I'm 75% sure you've got a female there!
Cheers olan! Thanks for your input :)
I was hoping it was a female but I thought you could only tell when they moult?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I hope you don't mind if we get a bit off topic here :D

I believe that I see a mesh lid there. Any type of mesh is bad for tarantulas. At best, they're able to chew through the woven mesh - yes, even if it's metal. At worst, they can end up seriously injured due to tarsal claws getting stuck in the mesh. Luckily you you, since this is an aquarium, it's a simple fix.

Along the black frame of the aquarium, there is a black frame. On the top of the black frame, there's actually a ledge that you can drop a piece of acrylic down into. Measure that exactly, take the dimensions to Lowe's, and have them cut a piece of thick acrylic for you. It shouldn't cost more than $20. They cut for free if you buy the acrylic through them. Note that Home Depot will not do this. While you're there, pick up a cheap swinging latch lock - you'll just hot glue this in place. Finally, drill holes in the acrylic for ventilation and you're done. When drilling acrylic, go slow! You don't want to crack it.

Let me know if you have questions, and welcome to the hobby :) You'll want to buy some shelves.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I hope you don't mind if we get a bit off topic here :D

I believe that I see a mesh lid there. Any type of mesh is bad for tarantulas. At best, they're able to chew through the woven mesh - yes, even if it's metal. At worst, they can end up seriously injured due to tarsal claws getting stuck in the mesh. Luckily you you, since this is an aquarium, it's a simple fix.

Along the black frame of the aquarium, there is a black frame. On the top of the black frame, there's actually a ledge that you can drop a piece of acrylic down into. Measure that exactly, take the dimensions to Lowe's, and have them cut a piece of thick acrylic for you. It shouldn't cost more than $20. They cut for free if you buy the acrylic through them. Note that Home Depot will not do this. While you're there, pick up a cheap swinging latch lock - you'll just hot glue this in place. Finally, drill holes in the acrylic for ventilation and you're done. When drilling acrylic, go slow! You don't want to crack it.

Let me know if you have questions, and welcome to the hobby :) You'll want to buy some shelves.
Er...there are Lowes in England?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi guys purchased my first tarantula the other day and it's a Mexican red knee juvenile :) today he/she had a wander on the side of the tank and I took a picture and noticed what looks like baldish spots under the abdomen is this normal? I'm no expert guys so any help would be appreciated please :) it's also very skittish aswell I gently touched the back legs a few times to see its temperament with a paintbrush View attachment 221628 after letting it settle in a day and it will run a few steps and kick a few hairs haha :) cheers guys
Craig
You need a simple and basic lesson in anatomy http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-anatomy-poster.287618/#post-2535135
courtesy of @mygale