Brachypelma pallidum ?

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i saw Brachypelma pallidum on southernspiderworks.com for sale.but cant find a care sheet for them.any one have these .look like Brachypelma emilia but without the red.thanks

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you have kept one Brachy you have kept them all. Dry with a water dish. Nice Ts by the way.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wait I think you are right is it not called Aphonopelma pallidum now?
I am sure someone will know here. I never seem to stay up with changes like this.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It did have a name change. Aphonopelma verdezi
I just looked around a bit and half the sites say it was changed from Brachypelma pallidum, to Aphonopelma pallidum, and the others say it was changed from Brachypelma pallidum, to Aphonopelma Verdenzi.

Where do I go for the truth?

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dang it, I used to have it bookmarked, but I lost it when my computer crashed. I think I'm backwards anyway. Ryan was right the first time, Aphonopelma pallidum. I'll do some more digging around and see if I can find that website.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dang it, I used to have it bookmarked, but I lost it when my computer crashed. I think I'm backwards anyway. Ryan was right the first time, Aphonopelma pallidum. I'll do some more digging around and see if I can find that website.
Hey ya I'd like to read it over when you find it. It's almost like there is a lag with name changes, if if does change it takes a long while to actually get around and be accepted. I forgot about the change all together because all I saw was brachypelma......... Plus I never know if the change is for real or just a purposed change.

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ya i found a lot more with Aphonopelma pallidum.thanks

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I just looked around a bit and half the sites say it was changed from Brachypelma pallidum, to Aphonopelma pallidum, and the others say it was changed from Brachypelma pallidum, to Aphonopelma Verdenzi.

Where do I go for the truth?
both actually if i remember right it went from B pallidum to A pallidum then to A verdenzi. I mean they cant leave it alone. but in any event it would be fine liek any brachy lol

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
when i want to know anything about names, i start here:

http://research.amnh.org/entomology/spiders/catalog/THERAPHOSIDAE.html

under Aphonopelma i find:

m pallidum (F. O. P.-Cambridge, 1897)....................Mexico
Eurypelma p. F. O. P.-Cambridge, 1897a: 21, pl. 1, f. 17 (Dm; not f, =A. albiceps).
Brachypelma p. Smith, 1986b: 50, f. 30h (Tm from Eurypelma=Avicularia).
Brachypelma p. Smith, 1987d: 50, f. 30h (m).
A. p. Smith, 1993a: 14 (Tm from Brachypelma=Euathlus per Raven).
A. p. Smith, 1995: 127, f. 549-559 (m).
A. p. Peters, 2000a: 38, f. 102 (m).
A. p. Peters, 2003: 63, f. 237-238, 242, 244 (m).

so Brachypelma pallidum was redescribed to Aphonopelma pallidum in 1993!
why on earth a dealer stil uses this old name only God knows! this species was never present in the hobby. what we had as (Brachypelma/)Aphonopelma pallidum was in fact an undescribed Brachyplema.
in 2003 Schmidt described that species as Brachyplema verdezi

so in Platnick you see under Brachypelma:

mf verdezi Schmidt, 2003....................Mexico
B. v. Schmidt, 2003g: 6, f. 1-3, 5-6 (Dmf).
B. v. Peters, 2003: 129, f. 523-525 (mf).
B. v. Peters, 2005b: 46, f. 150-155 (mf).

hope this helps

Eddy

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
To continue with what Eddy and Mikhail have written, I just wanted to further reinforce the point that the spider being asked about here by the OP (Brachypelma verdezi) has never, at any point, resided in the genus Aphonopelma, regardless of what it was/is sold as.

Aphonopelma pallidum is a seperate, valid species, which was for a brief time in the genus Brachypelma. This spider is not in the hobby that I know of.

Eric